PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Air for the 68

68ChevelleSS
07-05-2011, 10:02 PM
Has anybody tried a Vintage Air kit for their Chevelle? Thinking about buying one. If you do have one do you like it? Is there better aftermarket kits out there? My 68 was never an AC car. Thanks in advance, Boyd

grumpy
07-06-2011, 05:44 AM
Hi Boyd,

I been wondering this very same thing about our 72. I know Classic Air also makes a kit. Have read that some people have likes and dislikes about both. Still trying to make the call before plunking down the 1600 bucks.

flash
07-06-2011, 11:01 AM
Im looking at the same thing for my 72 Chevy truck .They make a great kit but it will have to be installed by a pro as Im sure I would mess it up.

Derek69SS
07-06-2011, 01:04 PM
I have one for my '69, and it seems to be relatively easy to install. I have it partially installed for mock-up (still have to do some welding and modifying to do on my firewall and floors for my LS1/T56 swap, so I can't finish the A/C install yet)

Instructions are very thorough and easy to follow.

Quality and fit seems to be very good... no actual experience using it yet though.

68ChevelleSS
07-06-2011, 05:19 PM
Ya I've been looking at them for awhile as well. I found a Sure Fit kit new in box on Ebay for 1,225 and 95 shipping. Seriously thinking about buying it. There are several on there for different makes and models. Still mauling it over. Thanks for the quick replies everybody!

Derek69SS
07-07-2011, 07:28 AM
Ya I've been looking at them for awhile as well. I found a Sure Fit kit new in box on Ebay for 1,225 and 95 shipping. Seriously thinking about buying it. There are several on there for different makes and models. Still mauling it over. Thanks for the quick replies everybody!
I think I paid less than that from Prodigy Customs. I used the LS1 F-body compressor bracket kit though.

Ms Grumpy
07-07-2011, 04:57 PM
After driving in some of the heat and humidity lately, I am seriously thinking that I need air. So I appreciate all of research that you guys have done. Hopefully it will make my decision easier. Thank you !

68ChevelleSS
07-07-2011, 09:07 PM
Thanks Derek. Ya I know the feeling Ms Grumpy. especially this Missouri humidity.

Kenny
07-08-2011, 11:04 AM
I just did a Classic Auto Air install on my 67 this spring. I chose them because they allowed me to add or subtract what I either needed or didn't need from their kit, and Vintage didn't want to do that.

With that said, Classic's instructions for my car left a lot to be desired for my particular installation.

With that said, I was able to do this installation myself( I got skills), the system works as advertised, and when I did call them with questions, their tech guy had good answers to the couple of problems or questions I faced with the install.

I suggest that whichever product you buy, do the research and/or ask lots of questions about the install you would like to do before making a purchase.

Kenny

Derek69SS
07-08-2011, 12:01 PM
I just did a Classic Auto Air install on my 67 this spring. I chose them because they allowed me to add or subtract what I either needed or didn't need from their kit, and Vintage didn't want to do that.
I had no problem substituting parts for my LSX setup ordering through Prodigy Customs.

I did have some trouble getting the kit in a timely manner, but it sounded like an honest shipping mistake that wasn't caught while in the middle of them moving their shop to a bigger location... Frank was good about getting it out right away when made aware that it wasn't recieved. (was supposed to be drop-shipped from Vintage Air, but instead was shipped to Prodigy and placed in inventory)

Kenny
07-09-2011, 11:57 AM
Go figure. I had to be the odd man out when I was shopping around

grumpy
07-09-2011, 08:04 PM
We sure could a used air today, while out cruising !