PDA

View Full Version : Need to replace internal Regulator in alternator

Bullcrappy
07-05-2011, 12:02 PM
Hello, I have a PowerMaster pwm-27294 alternator with an internal regulator and the regulator has tested bad.

I have not opened it up yet but would like to replace the regulator. as this is a nice 100amp unit that is polished.

Can this be done?

Can i get the part at local Napa etc or does it need to be ordered from Summit or PowerMaster?

thanks for any help.

Bull

flash
07-05-2011, 04:38 PM
Never heard of Powermaster but I would try NAPA .

Hank70SS
07-05-2011, 05:34 PM
It's not that hard to replace. Once you open it up and pull the 2 sides apart, the brushes will pop out of their slides, they have springs behind them. You'll see how it all fits together once you separate the 2 halves. Two screws hold the regulator in, if it's a standard type Delco internal regulator. Take it to NAPA or other parts store and they should have a replacement.

After installing the new regulator you need to re-install the brushes. Put them back into the slide and use small brad nails or paperclips inserted from the back of the alt. There are 2 small holes there to insert the brads/paperclips. Push the brush all the way in so the paperclip is on the surface/face of the brush and holds it in the slide. You'll have to wiggle things around to slide the halves back together so you don't bush the paperclips out the back.

Once the 2 halves are together, pull out the paperclips and install the screws that hold it together. Test that it turns smoothly before installing the screws. Done.