PDA

View Full Version : Squeaking noise after warm up.

68ChevelleSS
06-27-2011, 04:02 PM
I have a loud squeaking, almost like nails on a chalkboard after my 68 is warmed up. It only does it over about 20 mph while driving. I cannot hear it at highway or cruise speed. just annoys the heck out of me. It also does not get louder or quieter with rpm. Seems like you hear it most while slowing down. Not brakes. Also will sometimes do it once warmed up and just sitting idling in park. As soon as I put it in gear it stops. So far I've disconnected the belts thinking it might be a belt driven accessory. Still squeaks. lol. I thought it might be something rubbing once everything warmed up with the headers and exhaust but I still have at least 2 inch clearance all the way around them. I also pulled the speedo cable out and tried it. Still squeaking! I'm starting to think either a cracked flywheel (cracked between bolt holes) or some sort of vacuum leak. It runs perfect even while squeaking. Its very weird and driving me insane. Whats your thoughts and opinions? Very embarassing and annoying to drive such a nice car that squeaks horribly. I've heard flywheels that sound like a knocking noise when cracked but never nothing like this. Any info would be extremely helpful. Just some info on the car: 383 450hp golens crate engine/brand new TCI Street Fighter TH400. Engine has about 3500 miles on it. Trans maybe 500 miles. Thanks.

Hank70SS
06-27-2011, 05:48 PM
Hard to tell from this end of the wire, can't quite hear it. ;)
I would lean towards a vacuum leak but again without being able to hear it's hard to say. Maybe a ruptured diaphragm in the vacuum advance canister? I had that happen but I could only hear at high rpm. Maybe a leak around the carb baseplate. You can use a propane torch to track a vacuum leak. Turn on gas, don't light it, and shoot the gas around the carb base and other areas you suspect. If the engine idle changes you found a leak.

I have a stick so don't know much about the flexplate and trans. You could pull the inspection cover and make sure all the torque converter bolts are tight.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

68ChevelleSS
06-27-2011, 05:58 PM
Thanks for the quick reply. I'm leaning towards a leak too. Just really weird. DOn't understand why it would only do it after warming up and not do it at idle and just revving it up. Drives me crazy! I hope i can figure it out quick! thanks again!

Ms Grumpy
06-27-2011, 10:16 PM
Good Luck. Let us know what it was.

68ChevelleSS
06-27-2011, 10:35 PM
Thanks Ms. Grumpy! Hopefully i still have hair when i figure it out. lol.

68ChevelleSS
06-28-2011, 01:32 PM
Tried the leak idea. No leaks and no change of idle. Still squeaking. Any other ideas before I separate the trans from the engine to check the flywheel for cracks?

Hank70SS
06-28-2011, 05:56 PM
Umh? Alt or water pump bearings? Oh, you said you disconnected the belts. You can check the torque converter bolts without pulling the trans all the way loose. Have you had a rider help to try and isolate the noise while driving?

68ChevelleSS
06-28-2011, 06:09 PM
yes, have had my Brother and wife in the car with me. I've checked the torque converter bolts a few times. Starting to think its a crack in between the 6 holes of the flywheel. I've seen these crack before but they usually make a knocking sound almost like a bottom end knock. this is driving me nuts. I would also think if it was a flywheel crack it would make different noises at different RPMs. Makes the exact same noise at the same volume whether running 5,000 rpm or idling coming to a stop. I drove it down the road today while it was squeaking and shut it off in neutral and the squeak went away. so definitely something drivetrain related.

68ChevelleSS
06-29-2011, 05:20 PM
I'm trying to post a video of my car squeaking so everyone car hear it. How do i do that?

Thanks,
Boyd

Hank70SS
06-29-2011, 05:48 PM
I have no idea, never done it. I'm sure Grumpy or Mrs. Grumpy can help you out.

68ChevelleSS
06-29-2011, 10:37 PM
Sent her a message. Thanks Hank!

grandsport
06-29-2011, 10:53 PM
Is that a mouse or rat motor?:p

68ChevelleSS
06-30-2011, 07:26 AM
mouse motor...never been a rat fan.

68ChevelleSS
06-30-2011, 10:34 PM
Well I pulled it part today. Pulled the flywheel out and examined it thoroughly. Even blew white powder on it hopefully it would stick in some cracks. i found no cracks at all. I'm at a loss now. Just about ready to do something I never do and take it to a shop and pay somebody to figure it out or just live with a squeak that annoys the heck out of me. If anybody knows a way to post a video on here please let me know. I'd like for some of you to hear and maybe tell me what it is. Thanks, Boyd

Ms Grumpy
07-01-2011, 06:20 PM
It is so hard when we have to break down and take it to a shop, unless it comes highly recommended.

68ChevelleSS
07-01-2011, 07:54 PM
Ya I hear that! I'm usually the one that never lets anybody touch my cars. There is only one guy that i trust. Unfortunately he is 5 hours away. Knowing my luck i will pull it off the trailer and he will point it right out and fix it. lol. I think I might just leave it alone for about a week and then go back to it with a clear mind.

crengo
09-02-2011, 10:14 PM
just a thought,do you have aluminum intake or cast.

68ChevelleSS
09-03-2011, 05:36 AM
Aluminum... idea?

earthquake68
09-03-2011, 08:45 PM
Hey, try this. Put the flywheel/flexplate back on but don't bolt the torque converter up. Leave the converter as close to the back of the trans as possible. Now start the car. Does it still squeak?

I had a pump bearing go bad in my Th400 that did exactly what you describe.

68ChevelleSS
09-11-2011, 07:24 AM
Hey, try this. Put the flywheel/flexplate back on but don't bolt the torque converter up. Leave the converter as close to the back of the trans as possible. Now start the car. Does it still squeak?

I had a pump bearing go bad in my Th400 that did exactly what you describe.

I did try that. That sound kills me. lol

Garyb
09-23-2011, 01:26 PM
Maybe a radiator cap.

68ChevelleSS
09-23-2011, 06:57 PM
I'd flip over backwards if thats all it was. Has that happened to you before? It will happen at idle in Park. As soon as you put it in gear it goes away. It will also happen while driving it seems above 20 mph or around 2000 rpm. driving me nuts. Thanks. Its worth a shot!!

GDwrench
09-25-2011, 07:05 PM
What kind of camshaft do you run in your motor ?? Something tells me it's a roller.

68ChevelleSS
09-25-2011, 09:00 PM
Its not a roller motor. If I drive it then let it sit and idle it will squeak if I put it in gear it will stop squeaking until I drive it again. I slid the converter back a little bit and fired it up again and it still did it. I looked at the flywheel and couldn't see any obvious cracks. Alot of my buddies were thinking it might be flywheel. When I get back home in December I'm going to pull the flywheel all the way off so I can inspect it. I really don't know what else to think. harmonic balancer maybe??? The motor is a Golens 383 Crate Motor and has roughly 3000 miles on it. I'm pretty sure its not a bearing because i've put a stethoscope on the oil pan and its definitely not there. Thanks for the input !!!

GDwrench
09-26-2011, 06:04 AM
It would be nice too see some pics with the hood open....to add imiges or files , after you click the "post reply" icon scroll down a little further to "manage attachments",click one of the "browse" icons and then choose your media location (Documents,pictures,etc...),choose your item and "upload" it..... It's actually pretty easy :)

When you here this noise I would assume the hood is in the "down" position most of the time ?? Latched and shut ??

I guess what I'm asking is,, have you ever heard the noise while sitting at an idle (or revving) with the hood open ???

68ChevelleSS
09-26-2011, 09:10 PM
I have pictures under my album. Its the yellow 68. It makes the noise whether the hood is open or closed. Its something definitely drivetrain related because the last day I was home and driving it while it was making the noise. I shut the motor off and let it coast and the noise went away. If I was back home i would upload a video of how it sounds.

GDwrench
09-26-2011, 09:30 PM
I know it kind of sounds like oddball questions,but I'm just ruling out things that I've experienced over time :)....very strange what you have here and ya' know, it's probably the simplest thing too ??. Make a short vid and crank the volume when you get the chance.....

68ChevelleSS
09-26-2011, 10:13 PM
Will do. I really appreciate the help. It will be winter when I get home so I will tear it apart and find it for sure.

68ChevelleSS
09-26-2011, 10:15 PM
and you're right! It probably is the simplest thing. lol

68ChevelleSS
12-29-2011, 04:26 PM
well guys I finally got rid of the squeak!!!! My brother was down a couple weekends ago and we were out in the garage looking at the car and he looks down at the PCV Valve and asks me if I had checked that yet. i said yes it seems fine. He proceeded to tell me some long story about how the hose between the carb and pcv valve can close once it gets hot. So i basically shook it off thinking ya right there is no way its that. LOL. So today i decided to pull it off and capped the carb and put a breather on the valve cover. I figured it looked a lot better anyway and didn't cost much at all. it was 60 degrees outside so i decided to take her out and see if it worked. I put about 40 miles on it and still no SQUEAK!!!! i figured it was something simple but not that dang easy. A lot of lost sleep and wasted energy on it. Thanks for all of the input over the past 6 months!!

Garyb
12-30-2011, 05:44 PM
Very cool...glad you got it taken care of.

68ChevelleSS
12-30-2011, 07:13 PM
thanks.................!

flash
12-30-2011, 09:02 PM
Glad you found it and that it was a simple fix.

68ChevelleSS
12-31-2011, 10:45 PM
Thanks John!