PDA

View Full Version : My 71 pics (Finally)

jays 1971
06-22-2011, 05:44 AM
Its taken a while but I finally took some updated pictures of my car. There is more to come but its a start. Its finally running after almost 2 seasons of being parked. I finshed my center console addition. I also got a new mini starter for father's day and now its back to being used as much as possible. My little girl just loves "daddy's fast car". Its not really that fast but its definitely faster than my suzuki. LOL

Berg
06-22-2011, 10:16 AM
I'm jealous. My car looks like it won't see the road until end of July although I did have the black car out over the weekend. Just went up the block. I can't pass inspection until it gets a new windshield and working parking brake... Ohh and an exhaust system. I like the color, it looks good. What did you do with the factory style SS wheels? I like that rim design for some reason. If I had a 71 or 72 I'd be running those. Did you see the aftermarket Tach conversion kit they got out that goes in the stock Malibu dash? If i was keeping the other car I'd do the conversion in it. Mine has a clock delete anyway. I'm not sure if you can get the white face gauge cover for them to match the rest though

Berg
06-22-2011, 10:20 AM
http://www.shiftworks.com/tachs-ss.htm#1970mal
I found it, they come in white face for the 71-72 also. I remembered seeing it somewhere for the 70 and it turns out Shiftworks has them. They seem pretty reasonable for $134 and it gives you a chance to polish the lens to get the fog out

jays 1971
06-22-2011, 10:42 AM
The main thing is that the car is running and your almost ready for the road. Thanks for the compliments, I still have the SS wheels. I put them on when I go to shows or just feel like it. I've got an original SS dash sitting in bubble wrap just out of the picture that will be going in when I have the cash for the gauge cluster I want. I have seen those kits also, its a great idea. I looked at replacing the entire cluster with a stainless plate with aftermarket gauges but it was going to cost me the same for 4 gauges as it will for the digital unit. My killer is the shipping, brokerage fees and taxes that I get hit with for crossing the border. Makes finding parts for a decent price really tough.

shadowgray396
06-22-2011, 08:07 PM
Looking good, love the color. Always fun to drive them in the summer. Keep the pictures coming.

Ray

jays 1971
06-27-2011, 07:36 PM
Looking good, love the color. Always fun to drive them in the summer. Keep the pictures coming.

Ray

Thank you. That is true, feels great to take it out again especially now that our daughter is old enough to understand that its a special car. Really missed just taking it out for a drive. Just doesn't feel the same going for a cruise in a suzuki. I found one more pic, not the best but it will do until I remember my camera next time we go out. Will keep them coming as more are taken.

grandsport
06-27-2011, 07:52 PM
I also love the color combo. Have fun!

Ms Grumpy
06-27-2011, 08:13 PM
Man, I wish that I had found that site last year when I was putting mine back together.

jays 1971
01-05-2012, 06:08 AM
I just ordered a classic update kit from american auto wire and it should be here in about 2 weeks. So now I guess I have to pull the interior before it gets here. I also have a 4 wheel disc brake kit waiting for installation along with a new trans and new posi diff. Hoping to get it all done before sping. Pics will follow for the wiring and brakes in here when I get a chance.

fleming23
01-05-2012, 07:27 AM
Sounds like you'll have quite a bit of work ahead of you in the next few months!

jays 1971
01-05-2012, 07:38 AM
It didn't seem like that much until I wrote it out. I guess its a good thing we have long winters here.

smokenjoep01
01-13-2012, 06:44 AM
Marvelous! Seeing your pictures has got me excited. Your car looks great. Im looking forward to you keeping us posted on how the wire harness update goes. As wellas alll the others you have planned.
In one of your pictures the car has blue rims, are those the most current set and were can I get some?

jays 1971
01-13-2012, 08:47 AM
Thanks. Those rims are the original ones I had on, I still put them on once and a while. If memory fails me they are off of a cutlass. I got them for free from a barn sale because they were taking up space. I sand blasted them and had them painted. I just got the call to pick up my wire harness. I have a few more pics of my car, but brakes will have to wait for now until I
get my new gears and a spring compressor. I also found a picture of our daughter in the car.

jays 1971
01-13-2012, 02:30 PM
This is the harness that I got for the car. Its an American Autowire Classic Update kit. I'm looking forward to getting this project started. I'll try my best to keep this thread updated with pictures of the new wiring. Here are a few pictures of the old stuff.

jays 1971
01-15-2012, 08:12 AM
Finally got the dash harness in place and connected. Here are a few pictures of the spots with the most improvement. Sorry I couldn't get more pictures but I couldn't get a good shot under the dash. There just isn't enough space. Next project is under the hood.