PDA

View Full Version : open question to anyone

greenmeanie
06-07-2011, 06:32 AM
I recently purchased a 1970 Chevelle and although it runs great, it stalls out quite a bit. I let it warm up for about 5 minutes and during that time I usually have to feather the gas to keep it from stalling. Then when I put it in gear, it stalls. Once driving, I seem to have no problems.

I tried setting the automatic choke as per the manual's instructions. How do I know it's set? I am considering setting the idle a little higher.

Is this a wise thing to do?

I am not mechanically inclined, but is there an easy way to do that myself?

I appreciate any advice.

grumpy
06-07-2011, 03:00 PM
Maybe a vacuum leak ?

Hank70SS
06-07-2011, 03:21 PM
What is the rpm at idle now? Sounds like you have an auto trans. If so you would normally need a little higher idle rpm in neutral than with a manual trans because when you put it in gear the trans places a load on the engine.

A little higher idle rpm won't hurt, it shouldn't 'bang' when shifted into gear but it shouldn't stall either.

You say you adjusted the choke. There is also a 'high' idle adjustment that will run the engine at a higher rpm while the choke is on and engine is warming up. Also, to set the choke you normally need to turn the key to RUN, don't start the engine. Depress the gas pedal all the way down once and release. The choke should now be on and it should run on the 'high' idle setting when you start it. Turn the key to START then let it run until it warms up some.

Ms Grumpy
06-07-2011, 09:18 PM
Hank, I am so glad you are here. You explain things so that everyone can understand.

grandsport
06-07-2011, 09:39 PM
Hank, I am so glad you are here. You explain things so that everyone can understand.

I am going to give Hank Maureens phone number.;)

Highway Star
06-08-2011, 08:48 AM
Green,

What kind of carburetor? What size engine? Hank is absolutely correct, on a carb with a choke, electric or manual (which is it, do you know?) there are two idle settings, fast idle and curb idle. For the fast idle, you can adjust the idle speed, and how long the choke stays on. How is the idle once the choke kicks off?

72ss383
06-08-2011, 08:04 PM
ahhh the old days drive with 2feet until it warmed up..throw it in neutral at stop light giving some gas the put back in drive..lol

Berg
06-10-2011, 09:27 AM
Don't overlook the choke pull-off if so equipped. The pull-off will open he choke enough to get air to keep the car from stalling. If this isn't operational you will have problems similar to the choke not being set correctly like you describe. They are usually around $20 for a replacement. I'm going to assume you have a Quadrajet although it could be a Holley or Edelbrock/Carter or any of the above. If you still have points I recommend checking/replacing the points, condenser. If it is HEI it probably won't be the problem but I can see weak spark giving you a hard time on start up also.

Ms Grumpy
06-10-2011, 08:00 PM
ahhh the old days drive with 2feet until it warmed up..throw it in neutral at stop light giving some gas the put back in drive..lol

I thought that was the only way to drive.