PDA

View Full Version : distributor question

SS Shaun
05-31-2011, 10:37 PM
OK i am not going to lie i can wire an ls1 rx7 but i am scared to wire my chevelle..lol ok so here is my question for you one which is better for me? HEI or external style coil and distributor? and do i need an MSD box to run the car? if not how do i wire the distributor? just a ground and a power to the coil and thats it?

Hank70SS
06-01-2011, 06:37 AM
An HEI distributor is definitely the easiest to install and maintain. Points and coil if you want to go original. MSD if you plan on spinning 7500 rpm a lot.

For an HEI all you need is a 12v ignition lead. It get's it's ground through the engine block. Should be a spade type connector in the fuse box labeled IGN. This should have 12v during start and run and is what many use to power an HEI distributor. You can also remove the original wire in the engine wiring harness that went to the coil. It will have a cloth type insulation on it. That is a resistance wire which reduces voltage to the coil to about 9v. Replace it with a standard 12 guage wire to supply the HEI, they need a full 12v.

That's it, unless you want to hook up a tach. The HEI as a connector on it plug in a tach feed.

SS Shaun
06-01-2011, 09:55 AM
man i am not even looking to spin that 454 to 4000 rpms..lol so the msd box is out the picture! and it looks like an HEI is the way i am going! i am getting close to firing my motor and i am starting to get scared..lol thanks for the info!

jays 1971
06-01-2011, 10:22 AM
Here is the kit I use in my car. I already had a very tired HEI system so I purchased this kit to replace it. It was quick and easy to install. Also a good value compared to the box. I'm just out for cruising but it's also there when you need it LOL. It was 150 from a local speed shop and took about 30 mins to install. Just another option for an HEI system. They also make a complete HEI distributor if you need that. http://www.msdignition.com/Products/Distributors/Chevrolet/HEI_Components/8501_-_Ultimate_HEI_Kit.aspx

Highway Star
06-01-2011, 02:35 PM
HEI. It's like set it and forget it. The DUI units are the best, they'll customize an advance curve for you. A GM unit falls behind in a close second place.