PDA

View Full Version : Hooking up reverse lights with Hurst Comp +

Berg
03-30-2011, 01:05 PM
Hey guys, I'm in the middle of swapping in an M20 4 speed to hang off the back of the 454 in my 1970 Chevelle and I'm using a Hurst Competition Plus shifter. I'm trying to keep it appearing as stock as possible and would like to hook up the reverse lights and reverse lockout so it all works as it should from GM. I'm also debating keeping the TCS since it is all there and most of them I see have this removed. I'm not building a race car, just a cruiser. I know the TCS uses a switch and a bracket with a wire holder that bolts to the side cover of the trans and I believe it makes contact with the 4th gear linkage (controls vacuum advance on distributor when in 4th gear) but I have never actually seen any of this stuff hooked up correctly. I tried finding it on an internet search but to no avail. I see both the solenoid is available reproduction as well as the reverse lockout kit. I'm not sure if this lockout kit is for use for the Hurst Comp Plus or the factory Muncie shifter only. Can anyone enlighten me on this? Any pictures of both items and wiring in place would be a huge bonus to me!. This is all for my slowest Chevelle build ever. I think the car should be ready to be redone again by the time I get it together. I have a floor-shift column to swap in so it will work the back-up light switch like it should. I am also aware that the pink wire is the power lead and the light green wire is for the reverse light circuit. I eventually plan on installing an SS dash with gauges instead of idiot lights and plan on getting a new main and engine wiring harness. I was wondering if it was easy to adapt my original harness to hook up to this or if I should just rig it for now so I have lights and hold off until I get a new harness. I won't be doing the dash swap for at least a year or 2 based on my budget. Any help would be greatly appreciated guys! Thanks in advance!

Hank70SS
03-31-2011, 07:44 AM
I don't think you can hook up the reverse linkage to a Hurst shifter. You can mount a switch on the Hurst linkage to activate the backup lights if you don't have one. Just google Hurst reverse switch, they're available and pretty cheap.

Can't help with the TCS, don't know if anyone here has a 4 speed with TCS. Maybe Grandsport or ShadowGray396, can't remember if they have 4 spd's or auto's. Mine is long gone and I really don't want it back, my car is not all original anyway.