PDA

View Full Version : Rocker Arm Rocking Off

BBChevelle
03-18-2011, 11:03 PM
Hi everyone new to this forum and looking for alittle help. I went out to my car bout 4 months back and fired her up and after a few seconds it started to sputter out aittle so i bumped the gas to get it goin again like always and all of the sudden im hearing this ticking noise. so i say to hell with it and pull it into the garage get in my truck and go. So i pull the valve covers and i find 3 loose rockers so i adjust em all. i drive the car for a while and someone trys to pass me on the on ramp.....not gonna happen bring it up to 5000 at the highest and cruise to the next off ramp for gas. pull in the gas station. same ticking. go home find 1 loose rocker tighten it and drive it same rocker loose again. Im goin nuts. Any info is appreciated thanks for the help and sorry for the short book.

Ms Grumpy
03-19-2011, 08:02 AM
Welcome BBChevelle. I wish I could help you, I just don't have an answer to your problem. I wish you luck in fixing your problem.

Highway Star
03-19-2011, 08:51 AM
The threads are shot in your lock nuts. Buy a new set. Please inspect your rocker studs to make sure that the much harder rocker arms haven't chewed into your studs.

Welcome to the site by the way. Good luck. Post any other questions here.

BillsCamino
03-19-2011, 01:04 PM
Also could be the cam is gone...
Any popping noises from the exhaust or up thru the carb?

flash
03-19-2011, 07:15 PM
I cant offer any advice but welcome aboard.

BBChevelle
03-19-2011, 10:13 PM
Well i never thought about the lock nuts ran down to oriley and bought some. Problem seems fixed. Drove for half hour ran it up to 6000 a couple times no problem. But i do get a pop out the garb if i floor it from a stop or from low throttle. But its always done this since the motor was built. Never been able to get rid of it

Highway Star
03-19-2011, 11:49 PM
Just to make sure that a cam lobe wasn't taken out, you ought to let it idle with the valve covers off for a minute and visually inspect all the rockers, to make sure they're each moving once you set the lash.

BillsCamino
03-20-2011, 08:03 AM
Also, all the rocker nuts should be threaded on the stud about the same distance.
Any stud that has a lot more thread extending thru the nut may have a rounded cam lobe...
Popping back thru the carb upon heavy acceleration is a lean condition. Try increasing the squirter size.