PDA

View Full Version : Not happy with OPGI dash pad

andy
03-17-2011, 05:07 PM
edit post pic

grumpy
03-17-2011, 05:54 PM
I thought there was a company that restored dash and pads in Cal. Dang it I cannot remember their name. Maybe one of the others can.

Dave

Hank70SS
03-17-2011, 06:01 PM
I haven't heard of anybody being really happy with a reproduction pad. Guess that's why originals are so expensive.

flash
03-17-2011, 07:44 PM
Just Dashes is probably who Grumpy is refering to.

shadowgray396
03-17-2011, 09:03 PM
Just Dashes is correct. Every post I have read says the after market dash pad fit badly. Find an original. I know two that are for sale right now on the other Chevelle site. Just Dashes is not cheap, it's about $700 to have an original dash pad done from what I have heard. A good use original dash pad will cost about $150 to $250. But the fit is so much better.

andy
03-20-2011, 11:05 AM
Just Dashes is correct. Every post I have read says the after market dash pad fit badly. Find an original. I know two that are for sale right now on the other Chevelle site. Just Dashes is not cheap, it's about $700 to have an original dash pad done from what I have heard. A good use original dash pad will cost about $150 to $250. But the fit is so much better.

Thanks for the info. I'm buying one of the dashes off "the other site";)

EDIT - I spoke to soon. The guy got spooked when I changed zip codes in my shipping info. I just wanted it shipped to my business instead of my house.
There are more out there, thanks again for the lead.

flash
03-20-2011, 05:32 PM
Dash pad from 70-72 Monte Carlo are also the same .

Chevelle_Nut
03-20-2011, 06:39 PM
I am not happy with my 69's replacement cover either, I agree that original is always better.

andy
05-10-2011, 12:59 PM
Still looking for a good dash pad...

jays 1971
05-10-2011, 02:41 PM
Andy
I have a dash pad that I am removing from my 71 very soon. It is the original pad that was in the car when I purchased it. The pad has one small crack on the right side of the speaker grille. If memory fails me that's the only major issue, looks like paint was touched before it was dry in one corner. It was painted at one point, currently black but was light blue. I'm just looking for a fair price to put towards future parts. If you would like more info/pics let me know. Just thought I'd put it out there as you were looking.

Hank70SS
05-10-2011, 06:12 PM
If you don't work out something with Jay let me know. I do have an extra original dash pad. It needs work, a few small cracks in the vinyl but if you're looking to have one restored it would work.

andy
06-06-2011, 04:14 PM
Andy
I have a dash pad that I am removing from my 71 very soon. It is the original pad that was in the car when I purchased it. The pad has one small crack on the right side of the speaker grille. If memory fails me that's the only major issue, looks like paint was touched before it was dry in one corner. It was painted at one point, currently black but was light blue. I'm just looking for a fair price to put towards future parts. If you would like more info/pics let me know. Just thought I'd put it out there as you were looking.

I found one thanks.

jays 1971
06-06-2011, 04:35 PM
No problem. I'm glad you finally found something that fits properly.

fleming23
06-07-2011, 07:17 AM
Andy,

I noticed you also have an aftermarket SS dash. I recently switched from my original Malibu sweep to the same dash you have and my pad no longer fits quite as well as it seemed to on the sweep dash. Now you are throwing an aftermarket pad onto an aftermarket dash which just made the chance of things fittings absolutely perfect even less. Just my observations....

andy
07-07-2011, 12:53 AM
Andy,

I noticed you also have an aftermarket SS dash. I recently switched from my original Malibu sweep to the same dash you have and my pad no longer fits quite as well as it seemed to on the sweep dash. Now you are throwing an aftermarket pad onto an aftermarket dash which just made the chance of things fittings absolutely perfect even less. Just my observations....

I agree. When I bought the two pieces I never even thought about things fitting bad. I wrongly assumed “new” parts would fit. Part of my constant learning process with this car.