PDA

View Full Version : Heavy Chevy Clone?

smokenjoep01
02-21-2011, 06:49 AM
I have a 72 thats started out as a SS clone. I intended on redoing it as a SS clone again. Red with black stripes. After stewing on it for a while I have came up with several reasons not to do it back to a clone SS. I have a bench seat, sweep speedo, column shift, 307ci, 10 bolt rear end, etc, etc. I would spend a small fourtune trying to make it look "proper SS" and then theres the fact that there are lots of red/black SS's out there already.
I then came across info on the Heavy Chevy option for 71/72 Chevelles. I really like the graphics and also dig that you could get the HC package with the 307, bench seat, sweep speedo. Parts I am going to reuse to save money. The HC seems much more rare than the SS now adays. I havent ran into anybody that was familiar with a HC Chevelle.
If the car is going to be cloned. I figure I might as well clone it to the type of vehicle it most closely represents. Plus I can save $ on no new chrome drip rails and wheel well opening moldings. I really dig the fact that they had the raised hood like the cowl induction. As the car I have came with this style hood brand new. And I was wanting to install the hood pins as well already.
I even found several places selling the graphic package. Are they all factory correct style? What do yall think of the idea? I would still do it red with black graphics. Any pictures of a HC in red?

Derek69SS
02-21-2011, 08:38 AM
I like the idea, but cloning a HC "properly" will be more expensive than the SS because of the base model door panels and seat covers.

I dig HC's because you don't see them often. :cool:

smokenjoep01
02-21-2011, 01:28 PM
Thanks for the reply Derek. Didnt realize they had different door panels and seat covers. What did they do different? Any pictures? Are the door panels and set covers available repro?

Derek69SS
02-21-2011, 02:19 PM
Heavy Chevy used the base-model (cheap) interior... they didn't even have carpet. They had a rubber mat instead.

It looks like the door panels are being reproduced now, although not completely accurate. http://macswebs.com/yf3registry/tech/71guide.htm

Highway Star
02-21-2011, 09:32 PM
I like the idea. Go for it.

flash
02-22-2011, 06:26 AM
Heavys are cool ,I want one because they are different .A friend here in Ga has a very low mile restored original he found out of California .

smokenjoep01
02-22-2011, 06:43 AM
I talked to my upholstery buddy. He will do custom door panels for 150.00 each and custom seat covers installed for 250.00. Still way cheaper than $1,700.00 for just a SS gauge cluster set up. Bonus is I wont have another SS clone. Its very interesting reading about these.

smokenjoep01
02-23-2011, 06:28 AM
Anybody have experience with the stripe kit from Phoenix graphics?

flash
02-23-2011, 08:49 AM
I have used their kits on Trans Ams and were great ,all 3M products back then. Im sure their quality is still the same (very good).

smokenjoep01
02-24-2011, 08:28 AM
Ive read there are some kits that the stripe is not quite right. Was hoping someone could verify wether or not there kit was "proper"