PDA

View Full Version : Hello from a big MuscleCar Guy!

unclehulka
02-14-2011, 07:20 PM
Just wanted to introduce myself to the group. I've been know as Uncle Hulka for more years than I can remember so that's my moniker.

I've been involved in the musclecar hobby/passion/obsession for about 30+ years and I don't regret a second of the time! I've been blessed to have owned a lot of musclecars over the years. Back when they were cheap gas guzzlers that no one wanted. Now the prices for most are well beyond my wallet. Oh well. I can only hope that the people that are able to spend the coin, actually love these cars as much as I do. Somehow, I doubt it. Investors and speculators seldom feel passion about their investments.

But I know there are some who have achieved financial positions that enable them to buy the cars they've always dreamed of, price be damned. To these folks, I say "Enjoy them, friends! Enjoy them and pass your love onto the next generation, for they are this hobby's future!"

That's enough out of me. Forgive my rambling intro.

I'll see you on the inside!Waving

Uncle Hulka

Hank70SS
02-14-2011, 07:28 PM
Hi Uncle,

No investors here that I know of. Just a bunch of people that really appreciate these cars. Some full restorations, some resto-mods, some just cars we enjoy but we all share a common interest.

Welcome to the site.

unclehulka
02-14-2011, 07:40 PM
Thanks, Hank. I just saw your car and it looks SWEET! I am in the process of recreating the 70 LS6 I owned so long ago. I miss that car something fierce, but I know I could never afford it even if I found it again.

The donor car is a straight, solid, original panel Malibu. I'm pretty well along and am down to the fun stuff like replacing the sweep dash. I just finished converting it from an auto to an M22. I can almost see the light at the end of the tunnel. I can't wait!!!

Thanks Hank!

shadowgray396
02-14-2011, 07:49 PM
Welcome Uncle Hulka,

Glad to have you on board.

Ray

grandsport
02-14-2011, 07:57 PM
Hi Uncle Hulka,nice to have you here! Waving

flash
02-14-2011, 10:24 PM
Welcome Uncle Hulka .

unclehulka
02-15-2011, 11:50 AM
Great to be here, Guys! Hope I'm able to contribute at least as much as I hope to learn!

Here's a pic I have of the Chevelle I am working on. It's on the trailer and heading for home.

The second pic is what I hope the car will look like when I'm done. This is not a picture of my old LS6, but it's the same color combos. When I'm done, hopefully it will look like my old Chevelle.

flash
02-15-2011, 01:37 PM
Both pics look good to me,but I especially like the color of the trailer car.

Ms Grumpy
02-15-2011, 03:13 PM
Welcome Uncle ! I always said it was like a family here, so you will fit right in. I have loved cars for as long as I can remember. It started many years ago when I would climb under the cars with my dad when I was little. I have owned my 1972 Chevelle Malibu for over 13 years.

I look forward to seeing more pics of your cars and to hearing about your wealth of knowledge.

Again, welcome....we are glad you are here.

unclehulka
02-15-2011, 07:26 PM
Thanks again for making a stranger feel real welcome! I don't know about being a wealth of knowledge, but I'll share anything I've been taught or learned on my own. I have a lot of car stories from decades past and if it won't don't bore you all to tears, I'll share them here as time and memory allow. Here's the one that started it all. It's long, but I would love to hear what you folks think. I have to warn you ahead of time that it's not about a Chevelle. HOWEVER, it was because of the events in this story that I got into musclecars and ultimately led to me owning a '67 SS, a '68 SS, a '69 SS, 3 '70 SS and a '70 SS wannabe.

Way back in the early 80's my best friend Jon bought a 1967 4-4-2 from a local elderly couple who were the original owners. Now at this time I wasn't heavily into cars and had never driven a musclecar. If you're old enough to remember the dismal performance of late 70's/early 80's cars you know what I mean. But if you are too young to remember, take my word for it. They sucked.

Anyway, while out cruising the countryside, Jon asked me if I wanted to drive. I jumped at the chance to drive this neat old car. I'm driving it pretty gingerly out of respect for my friend. After about a mile or so, he impatiently says "C'mon, man, get on it!"

So I floored it.

The trans kicked down into first, the q-jet paused for just a second to gulp in the air now coming in from the secondaries and then she took off....hard! This car was in tune and that motor just loved showing what she was capable of. I had never experienced anything like that, and I was hooked. My appreciation for musclecars just went off the charts.

Seriously, at that very instant my life changed forever.

That very afternoon, I bought a copy of the Bargain News and started looking for a musclecar......and what do you think I found? No, not the Olds I was hoping for. I found an ad for a '69 SS/RS Camaro convertible. That was all it said. Asking price? $2,500. I called and an elderly man answered the phone. He bought the car new. He then told me it was a pace car. "What's a Pace car?" I asked. He laughed and explained what it was. He said "It has the big engine and a 4-speed, but it needs a new top and a radiator." "Big engine?" I asked. "396" was all he said.

We talked a little while longer and I told him I was seriously interested in his car. I would goto the bank to get a loan and that I would call him in a couple days and come see it and if it's what you say it is, I'll pay you in cash right then and there. He said that would be fine.

A couple days later after getting the loan, I called him to set up a day to see it and he just said "I'm sorry, son, but a man showed up with cash and a trailer." I was devistated!

I grabbed the new Bargain News, determined to use the loan money to buy me a musclecar. And right there, practically calling to me, was an ad for a 1967 4-4-2 convertible!!!!!!! Just like Jon's car, but the top went down! Asking price? $1,500!
New top, solid body, good interior, unmolested and now it had a new owner!

I loved that car and in return, she gave me the best summer of my life......until I was hit head-on by a drunk driver.

I was pretty messed-up and spent a long time in the hospital, but that car saved my life. The drunk was in a brand new F-250 and police said he was going about 50 miles per hour when he crossed the lines. They also said if it weren't for me wearing my seat belt, my size (6'2" 300lbs) and the heavy-duty frame of the convertible, I wouldn't have made it.

I owe my life to a musclecar.

Ever since then I have been on a path that has led me to own nearly 50 (fifty) musclecars over the last 28 years. But I never forgot the ride in Jon's car and how it changed my life. He sold his 4-4-2 in '87 and that was the last I saw of her.

Jump to November 2009. While browsing through Craigslist, I happened to see a '67 4-4-2 for sale locally. I look at the poor quality pictures and it looks like Jon's old car, but that car went off to somewhere in New York. It couldn't be the same car, but man, it sure looked like her.

Since the car was so close and priced very right, I call the seller and make arrangements to see the car. My wife and I drive the 9 miles to the sellers house. It's pitch black and raining when we arrive. The car is in a VERY tight garage and he has to pull the car out so I can look at it.

As soon as I lifted the hood, I knew that by some miracle, I had found THE car! Minor under-hood modifications we had done all those years ago were still present.

But there was more proof. It was not only the rare post model, but it had all the options Jon's car had:

42 year-old original maroon paint (faded and tired)
New two-tone red interior (Jon had installed just before he sold it)
Air Conditioning
Cruise Control
Reclining Passenger Seat
Vacuum Trunk Release
Power Steering
Power Brakes

I looked behind the license plate and there was the schrader valve for the air shocks in the exact spot we put it. No doubt about it, this was the car that effected me so strongly so long ago.

I made him an offer which he accepted and just like that, the car was mine! Now I had to find out where the car had been all these years. No, it hadn't been in the area all that time. I don't know the complete trail, but I know the car was on ebay at some point years ago and that this guy got it in Florida. This car had been as far away as FL before coming home (I'm in CT)!

Now I think that's a neat story, but there is one more little twist that I sure as hell didn't see coming.

As I was leaving, I gave the seller my full name, to which the seller gave me his full name. Although I didn't know this man, his last name was very familiar. I asked him if, by chance, he was related to a couple other people I know with the same last name, to which he replies that they were his uncle and cousin. I smiled, looked at him and said "Well let me re-introduce my self. I'm your cousin!!!"

What are the freaking odds! We were both blown away by this revelation and spent the next hour catching up on our family histories.

Jon and I are not only still best friends but we both work in the engineering department of the same company. The day the car arrived, Jon was there and immediately inspected and confirmed that it was indeed his old car.

Well that's the story. It's long-winded, but the God's honest truth. Hope I didn't bore you and I would really like to hear your thoughts on this tale.

Thanks for letting a fellow car nut ramble!

Uncle Hulka

Highway Star
02-15-2011, 08:37 PM
Welcome to the site.

Rattler
02-16-2011, 01:31 PM
Welcome to the site! Waving

71-SS350
02-17-2011, 07:07 PM
unclehulka, Man, I loved that story of your Olds. 4-4-2. I haven't been on this website very long but it struck a chord with me. Years ago I had a '65 Impala SS 2dr, 300 hp / 327, factory 4 spd, conole, buckets, factory tach and posi. Orignally it was a dark forest green, not sure what it was called then and green not being my color I had it repainted to a '71 Corvette blue which looked great with the white bucket interior. Gas was cheap back then and being a gearhead I decided the motor needed a warm up. Bored the block, new pistons, Melling Super Street hyd. cam, Carter AFB and a new Mr. Gasket shifter. When the first gas crunch hit in late '73 you couldn't give away a performance vehicle. Sold it for almost what I had in the tires and wheels, just couldn't afford two cars being newly married and 6 month old baby. Now I just retired last summer, working on a '71 Chevelle 350, a '57 Chevy 2dr 210 I used to race 1/4 mile, '71 Chevy 1/2 ton 4x4 restored, and a '55 Chevy 2dr 210 wagon needing restored. Wife (aka financial advisor) says " you have enough toys, play with what you have" but I swear if I were to ever find my ol' SuperSport again I would do everything in my power to own it again. I have three sons who are all eyeing Dad's toys, I just tell them " Don't get in a hurry, I ain't done playin' yet" :)

unclehulka
02-17-2011, 07:53 PM
Love it! You're a man after my own heart. Too many toys? I hear that one from my wife sometimes. Love the mid-60's Impalas. Your's sounds way cool. I had a '67 Impala SS 396 4-speed convertible (no show car, believe me). I LOVED that car, but after I ran over a deer I had to sell it because I couldn't get the smell out of the car. The thing would draw flies when I parked it! After a couple weeks I gave up trying to clean it and sold it.

Glad you enjoyed the story and thanks for your story!

Ms Grumpy
02-17-2011, 08:13 PM
unclehulka, I am sure that your story has brought back a few great car stories and memories. Some that we treasure and some that we don't want to remember.

Years ago, I owned a 1969 Dodge Charger. Yep, I had a Dukes of Hazzard car. This car was a work in progress for over 3 years. About the time that I finally thought it was done, I moved into an apartment. Bottom floor and the car was parked right outside the window. At least for a few weeks it was, til someone stole it. I was devastated.

About 3 days later my sister calls me. She said that she thought that she saw my car sitting in the middle of a field off a main road. So I went to check it out. In hindsight, I probably shouldn't have. Cause I cried when I saw it.

The people that had stolen it took everything that they could have off of the car, and then drove it through a field. I don't think that there was a spot on the car that didn't have a dent ! I think that they thought that they were the Dukes of Hazzard. The insurance company totaled the car, not surprised, and I had to fight with them, to get what I had into the car, back. Ultimately I did. Now I could start looking for what I really wanted, and old Chevy. And that is my, I wanna forget, story.

Bowtie-Bri
02-18-2011, 12:35 AM
Welcome to the site Uncle Hulka! Waving Good luck with your project Chevelle. You picked a good year. :D Don't get me wrong, I like all years, its just that 1970 happens to be on the top of the list.:cool:

Hank70SS
02-18-2011, 07:20 AM
That was a good story Uncle. Your Malibu looks great the way it is and I too like the color. The white SS would be nice too, don't see a lot of white ones.

unclehulka
02-18-2011, 11:48 AM
Boy, you sure know how to make a guy feel welcome! I'm especially glad you seemed to enjoy my story. I found my old strong box yesterday and looking through it, I found some car-related papers that I thought were long gone. Nothing earth-shaking, but cool just the same. Here's some of I found:

The owner's manual from my white LS-6 (the one I'm re-creating out of my Malibu)

The Bill of Sale when I bought my 1970 GTO ($3,500)

The Bill of Sale when I bought my 1968 Chevelle SS 396 ($800 missing engine)

The Bill of Sale when I bough my 1968 Road Runner ($2,000 from the original owner)

The Dealer Invoice for the same 1968 Road Runner

The Registration for my Red 1970 Chevelle SS 396

The Dealer Invoice for my 1969 Chevelle SS 396

A hand-written ad from a guy selling his 1968 Dodge Charger w/383 (needs rebuild), 4-speed, 3.23 Sure-Grip. Good floors & trunk, qtr's need work. Price? $300

Dear God I miss those days! sigh.

Hank70SS
02-18-2011, 05:20 PM
We do that, we make you feel welcome then we stab you in back! :D

I've made a lot of great friends because I own a Chevelle so the more the merrier. BTW, you must be a pack rat if you still have all that stuff. J/K, nice to look through the old memories sometimes.

Hey, were do live? Maybe you mentioned it I missed it.

unclehulka
02-18-2011, 08:10 PM
Pack rat is as good a term as any, Hank. I wish I had thought to take pictures back then. I have so few.

I hail from Connecticut, Hank. Good to 'meet' you and the others here. I also visit Team Chevelle now and then. Another good group there.

crankshaft
02-18-2011, 08:14 PM
Welcome to the site,,, great story by the way ! How cool is that . I'm fairly new to the site and to muscle cars. In the process restoring a 65 ss,,,,, my first !!

unclehulka
02-18-2011, 09:01 PM
Thanks, Crank! A couple words of advice from one car guy to another:

Take your time!

Take pictures of EVERYTHING!

Keep good notes!

When it stops being fun, take a break.

Best of luck to you. '65's are great looking Chevelles!!!!