PDA

View Full Version : Radiator Recommendations

MrDerek
01-31-2011, 04:38 PM
Hello all. Im looking at a radiator thats a 3 row. Its at a great deal at $25. It is used. I have a 454 motor. Will this 3 row radiator suffice? 70 chevelle.

shadowgray396
01-31-2011, 05:28 PM
3 will work, I would not go any smaller then that. Are you running AC on your car? I'm running a 4 core on mine with out AC for extra cooling in the summer. $25 is a great deal, but I would have it pressured checked out by a radiator shop before I would buy it. The core could be about to break if it has not recored. The last thing you want to happen is blow a radiator and ruin an engine for $25 dollar part.

Hank70SS
01-31-2011, 06:16 PM
I have a 3 core, 454, no AC, bought it about 6 years from Murray's, now Oreily's. I do have the stock 7 blade fan and HD clutch. No problems with cooling.

1970Turtle
01-31-2011, 09:29 PM
What does AC have to do with your radiator? I have a stock radiator in mine but an aftermarket AC system was put in prior to me purchasing. I've been wanting to upgrade anyways just because I think you can never run too cool. Would adding a clutch help the cooling?

shadowgray396
01-31-2011, 10:12 PM
What does AC have to do with your radiator? I have a stock radiator in mine but an aftermarket AC system was put in prior to me purchasing. I've been wanting to upgrade anyways just because I think you can never run too cool. Would adding a clutch help the cooling?

With AC the motor can run hotter, since people will run the AC on and sit at idle for longer periods of time. Also the AC cooling unit is in front of the radiator also puting out heat and can block some of the air flow through the radiator if not kept clean. .