PDA

View Full Version : What kind of driver are you ?

Ms Grumpy
01-22-2011, 07:48 PM
The other day I ran into a neighbor who told me that he had finally seen the Chevelle before we put it away a few months ago. He had seen it when it was orange and only recognized the car cause I was behind the wheel driving down the street.

He made a comment to me that it seemed like I was afraid to drive it, or get on it. Well I guess, in some ways, I am.

After putting all the time and money into redoing the motor and car, I am a little hesitant to drive it like I used to. Partially because I know that I need to do some upgrades on the trans and rear end. But mostly, I don't know, because I now know that the car is worth something more than it just being my toy.

So I wonder how you guys drive your car. Do you treat it with the utmost respect or do you beat the heck out of it?

1970Turtle
01-22-2011, 08:16 PM
I drive mine safe, just cruise. Mostly because it's a mear 307 and the brakes still need complete overhauling. But I bought her for a daily driver and cruiser. Even when I upgrade the engine or just rebuild what's there, it'll be a cruiser. Wont see the strip and street racing is dumb and dangerous.

grandsport
01-22-2011, 08:19 PM
I got that out of my system years ago,especially when I was autocrossing.For sure I baby the black car.Still love the quote from my daughter"Dad,don't drive it like a pu**y":p

Cheeky Monkey
01-22-2011, 10:42 PM
It depends, my 50 plymouth convert is a great cruiser that I dont thrash..My 68 olds 442
is a mid 13 sec 1/4 mile car that sees alot of airflow through the secondarys on and off the street Last year I almost spun out right in front of a local cop...No ticket but a stern warning WHEW!

Derek69SS
01-22-2011, 10:43 PM
In town I'm a very cautious and courteous driver... when nobody's looking, I treat the throttle like it's an on/off switch.

flash
01-23-2011, 06:29 PM
Mine are cruisers that will never see the track except the Nascar tracks weve been fortunate to make a few laps on .Talladeega is awesome in a 72 vert with the top down and Joan saying go faster .

smokenjoep01
01-23-2011, 07:34 PM
I plan on putting a wet nos sytem on my 307, just in case I have to pass a truck going up hill! I'm a motorcycle drag racer so as you would expect Im a adreline junky and love the smell of burning rubber.
That being said after having just put about 40 hours in labor on just the left door of my chevelle. I wont be thrashing it like a rental car, but will have some fun. Not scared of busting up the drive train, its the dents Im worried about.
I still have the memory of the 72 Chevelle I totaled in high school some some 23 years ago.

Highway Star
01-23-2011, 09:58 PM
I drive mine nice and easy when people are looking...

72chevy
01-24-2011, 02:24 PM
i drive her like hell, anyone who revs up next to me..im all in....that does not mean i dont take care of her but she gets DRiVING HARD.Chicago summers are short so i enjoy her as much as possible those 3 months of summer

Hank70SS
01-24-2011, 02:58 PM
I beat on mine. I don't take it to the strip or street race but the rear tires have been known to lose traction on occasion and there may have been a couple of times that I accidentally exceeded the speed limit.

darren1959
01-30-2011, 03:08 PM
Mine is a low 13 second drag car that also pulls the pop-up camper to the track. It is also a daily driver in the summer here in MinnSnowta. My 3-year old grandson loves the rumble and the girls at work love it when I take the back road back to the office after lunch.

I drive her like a performance car. I don't spin the street tires much but will a few times a season. I am an assertive driver but try not to go more than 5mph over the speed limit. If it is safe I won't back down from a steeet race and I have beat anybody that tries to take this 4-door Chevelle!

Ms Grumpy
01-30-2011, 06:22 PM
Mine are cruisers that will never see the track except the Nascar tracks weve been fortunate to make a few laps on .Talladeega is awesome in a 72 vert with the top down and Joan saying go faster .

I love it !!!

flash
01-30-2011, 06:39 PM
Normally Joan is saying slow down ,youre going to get a ticket. At the roundy round tracks she loves going fast ,never went down the dragstrip yet .

grandsport
01-30-2011, 06:45 PM
I drove this place to #20,000.:banana:

crankshaft
02-03-2011, 08:10 PM
maybe some day I'll get to drive mine ...

Warputer
02-03-2011, 11:01 PM
In town I'm a very cautious and courteous driver... when nobody's looking, I treat the throttle like it's an on/off switch.

Yup...that's me too.

Ms Grumpy
02-04-2011, 06:57 PM
I drove this place to #20,000.:banana:

You drove us to what ? drink...and your buying right ?

Congrats grandsport

grandsport
02-04-2011, 07:05 PM
You drove us to what ? drink...and your buying right ?

Congrats grandsport

anytime!!!!!!!!

flash
02-04-2011, 07:37 PM
Make mine a diet 7-UP please.

ArmyScout
04-10-2011, 02:58 PM
Its a mixed bag for me. I know its gonna be the other lady in my life (my wife of course is first) so you have to treat her with respect and be gentle. But with all that being said when the high school kids pull up beside you driving the imports with those mufflers on them that sound like a mosquito with a meth habit and their loud base pumping you can help but drop it into neutral and bring it to 4k rpm just to drown out their noise. Then as you make eye contact and they give you that all knowing "whats up" head nod know its on. Some of the best lessons in life are learned out side of the classroom, the lesson topic of the day...You cant f**k with American muscle and as the smoke from your tires clear and the import in your rear view becomes a small dot the grin spreads across your face and the the only thought that goes through your head is "lesson learned"

Seeb
04-21-2011, 04:33 PM
the 66 is for cruising when it does get out....the 69, well....
lets just say I would have loved to have the room to play with the Porsche :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-OCRWi30nk

automoblog
05-14-2011, 10:03 PM
I think, most of drivers are changing their driving style time to time, some times following others.