PDA

View Full Version : Where do you shop for parts

grumpy
01-01-2010, 07:41 AM
This past year I did some massive shopping for our chevelle. The majority of came from

NPD
Summit
groundup
Cars

Where do you folks go when you need velle parts ?

Dave

WillW23
01-01-2010, 07:55 AM
Ground Up, Ausley's and Hinshaw's for me.

Willie

LS_5
01-01-2010, 07:56 AM
Those places, plus Lutty's

http://www.luttyschevy.com/

They're local here (about 1/2 hour drive) and carry most all the same stuff the others do. Their biggest issue is their catalog. Not organized well at all. Must have evolved and they never bothered to reorganize it.

Their prices are pretty comparable, too. Some stuff is more, some is less.

Chevelle_Nut
01-01-2010, 08:14 AM
Hinshaws, Ausleys and NPD for me, of course I have specialty vendors for other items like hinge repairs, wiper motor rebuilds etc.

Animal69
01-01-2010, 08:47 AM
NPD for me. Even though I'm on the west side of the state, I go right past them on the way to my daughter's and 3 of my grandchirdren in Southgate. I call ahead and my order is waiting for me. It only adds 10-15 minutes to my trip.

Hank70SS
01-01-2010, 08:51 AM
For Chevell stuff, NPD. Not that far from the office so it's easy to swing by there and pick the stuff up. I don't bother calling and they've never been out of stock on anything I wanted.

Engine stuff, Summit. I check Jeg's but their website is just not as nice as Summit's.

Derek69SS
01-01-2010, 08:57 AM
I really like to give my business to small family-owned businesses.

Restoration type parts I buy from Hinshaws... met James and the family at Chevell-abration, and the Kansas City Regional. Great people and truly a family operation. Always very honest about the fit & quality of repro parts also. :)

My suspension stuff usually comes from SC&C (www.scandc.com) Mark is pretty much a one-man show there... be prepared to spend an hour on the phone with him. ;)

Speed parts, I try to get from a local speed-shop but with their small inventory, it's not often that I couldn't just get it faster from Summit.

Garyb
01-01-2010, 08:59 AM
I usually get a part number and then google it for the best price. It's amazing to see the price differences from one place to another for the same part.

I bought these tailpipes (Flowmaster #15802) for $124 plus free shipping.
It was the best deal i could find.

Andy69
01-01-2010, 09:19 AM
Ground Up, NPD, and Ebay

stalkingbear
01-01-2010, 12:12 PM
I'd say NPD (great service & nice people), Summit (how can you beat their service?) and I have ordered from Ground Up but they are a long way away and it takes quite a while to get the goodies. Never had any issues with them though.

I have had issues with a company in Seal Beach, California. (but I won't mention any names...)

1966malibu
01-01-2010, 01:08 PM
Summit for my mail order stuff.
I am lucky to have Biscay's Classic parts not that far from my house. I buy all my trim and interior stuff from him. There is just something about being able to touch the parts before you buy them.

66BuickSpecial
01-01-2010, 02:23 PM
Summit primarily, Jegs occasionally.

Locally I hit up Jim Green's if it's a speed related part or my nitrous bottles filled.
http://www.jimgreens.com/

Sadly they are moving. They were 10 minutes away, now they are going to be 35-40 minutes away.

Hank70SS
01-01-2010, 02:32 PM
I am lucky to have Biscay's Classic parts not that far from my house. I buy all my trim and interior stuff from him. There is just something about being able to touch the parts before you buy them.

That's why I go to NPD. I've had them bring stuff out so I can look at it then said no thanks. They don't have a problem with that, of course I've spent a few grand there.

Jerry Briggs
01-01-2010, 10:34 PM
Hinshaws, Ausleys, NPD, Summit, Jegs, and OPG and spent money amounts in that order also.

Highway Star
01-01-2010, 10:42 PM
Summit
Ausley's
Autozone
Advance Auto

piette
01-01-2010, 11:26 PM
NPD is my favorite supplier, never had a problem with them, the shipping is cheap and fast to me, and the service is excellent

Jeff

1969 El Camino Dan
01-02-2010, 12:32 AM

Nice folks a Biscay's. They do local swap-meets too, so you can order stuff & they will bring it to you!

Dan

shadowgray396
01-02-2010, 12:54 AM
I get most of my parts from a local vendor for the last 20 years. I have no problems returning items and I like helping out small businesses in our area.
Ray

DougA
01-02-2010, 10:56 AM
I use NPD,never had a problem.Polite,and they always have verything at a good price.Used to buy from GU at the shows,but they always seemed like they were doing me a favor taking my money,among other things.

Hank70SS
01-02-2010, 11:19 AM
I get most of my parts from a local vendor for the last 20 years. I have no problems returning items and I like helping out small businesses in our area.
Ray

Wish we had a local vendor to support. NPD has a warehouse and showroom here so I guess I'll support them, they're good to deal with.

sg5492
01-02-2010, 11:43 AM
Jegs for my mail order stuff (most of the time). I'm in the racer discount program at Jegs and Summit.

Kevin Russell
01-02-2010, 11:57 AM
Competition products has good prices on performance or race parts.

OutCast
01-02-2010, 01:21 PM
I get really good pricing at our local Lordco Speed Shop on most everything. This past year, however, I had great service from Summit, Randy's Ring and Pinion, and Strange Engineering. Ebay and Team Chevelle classifieds have also been sources of excellent value.

FRYNTYR
01-02-2010, 01:39 PM
Why the BBC emporium of course. :D

1966malibu
01-02-2010, 01:48 PM
I would love to have one of those AT MY OWN HOUSE.

Sorry just a little envious Doc :).

sevent1nomad
01-02-2010, 01:51 PM
I think everyone is a bit envious of doc:ntwrthy:

FRYNTYR
01-02-2010, 01:52 PM
I would love to have one of those AT MY OWN HOUSE.

Sorry just a little envious Doc :).

Hey, if you had a set of BB headers, I may have a loaner bb that would get you in the 10's. Wait, I have a set of 66-67 super comps,,,,,guess you're good to go.

1966malibu
01-02-2010, 02:01 PM
Hey, if you had a set of BB headers, I may have a loaner bb that would get you in the 10's. Wait, I have a set of 66-67 super comps,,,,,guess you're good to go.

:ntwrthy:

:D

cobaltchev67
01-02-2010, 09:50 PM
I've used Summit, OPG, NPD, Jegs, Inline Tube, Right Stuff, CPP, Ground Up, various eBay companies, and a local parts supplier that most of the NW guys hate going to(Evergreen Muscle Car)...but I have no problems with the owner as he's given me heavy discounts(up to 50%) on large orders which include a full car sheetmetal order and full interior kit. Personality and social skills are everything in this instance. Biscay's is OK, just not who I'm used to talking to...I've only gotten 1 heater cable from them and a cigarette lighter element that didn't fit, so not a whole lot of experience there but I'd definitely rather drive to Auburn than Grand Mound.

Langss
01-03-2010, 01:26 AM
I got my Radiator from NPD.I got my Cam Kit from Summit.I bought a lot of stuf from PAW because they are local.

pat565
01-03-2010, 04:49 PM
I've used Summit, OPG, NPD, Jegs, Inline Tube, Right Stuff, CPP, Ground Up, various eBay companies, and a local parts supplier that most of the NW guys hate going to(Evergreen Muscle Car)...but I have no problems with the owner as he's given me heavy discounts(up to 50%) on large orders which include a full car sheetmetal order and full interior kit. Personality and social skills are everything in this instance. Biscay's is OK, just not who I'm used to talking to...I've only gotten 1 heater cable from them and a cigarette lighter element that didn't fit, so not a whole lot of experience there but I'd definitely rather drive to Auburn than Grand Mound.

Can you hook me up with the 50 % discount at Evergreen? I need to rebody my 67.

Pat

Trophyman
01-03-2010, 08:24 PM
Ground Up sold me 90% of the parts for my complete resto. Then NPD. A little bit to OPG
Randy

67chevelle396
01-04-2010, 09:04 AM
Summit and NPD

Bungy L-76
01-04-2010, 10:05 AM
Looks like almost everyone gets stuff from NPD. Me too. I ordered a bunch of stuff from OPG last summer and never got the 15% discount they offered. But I'll probably still buy stuff from them.
NPD
OPG
Summit/Jegs
P.O.L.
Napa

Herbie67SS454
01-04-2010, 05:05 PM
NPD here for a lot of $$$. Ground UP also but didn't like the attitude and back orders when I wasn't told of it.
Summit for most of engine components.
I even got my Alumnitech radiator from NPD and it was cheaper than straight thru Alumnitech. Isn't advertised as the brand but states in the NPD catalog that it is a direct replacement. Called them and asked. Yep. That's the one. Even came in the box with Alumnitech (sp?) on it.
They must order a lot of them to sell cheaper than the owner can to us.

rak1
01-04-2010, 05:08 PM
Summit Racing because they are only five miles from my house; one of the few benefits of living in Reno, NV. If it has to be a Chevelle part NPD has been good to me so far.