PDA

View Full Version : mini high torque starters

crankshaft
12-31-2010, 07:22 PM
I am curious if anyone here is using one of those mini high torque starters ? If so, is there a difference from stock starter ? It will bolt right in place of a stock starter correct ?

Hank70SS
01-01-2011, 07:22 AM
I don't have one but should be a direct bolt in. You may have to play around shimming it so the teeth mesh with the flywheel properly. You may have to modify your wiring some if you're running a stock points distributor. If you have an HEI distributor you should be all set. Those are the only 2 issues I've heard of when switching to a mini hi torque.

Rattler
01-01-2011, 02:33 PM
They should bolt right in place of your existing. I'm using a clockable mini starter with it clocked upside down so it clears the headers and it easier access wiring.

They produce quite a bit more torque and crank the car over much easier. It's a must for a high compression engine.

crankshaft
01-01-2011, 05:36 PM
Perfect !! thanks for the response guys!!

bolly
01-02-2011, 11:16 AM
I bought one and installed it in the front lot of the parts store, bolted right on but didn't crank well at all!! (musta been a refurbed chinese one)

Now my motor was newly rebuilt and maybe a little on the tight side, and the battery is in the trunk...

I went with a GM starter from a 502, works awesome!

Trophyman
01-04-2011, 04:10 PM
My Meziere mini is guaranteed to crank 1500 HP.

A lot of the guys can't use them because their motors put out WAY more than that. At least on the forums they do.

It's a pro starter. Expensive? Yes Worth not fretting over if my engine will crank? YES.

My .02

Randy

Berg
01-14-2011, 09:07 AM
I used a GM PMGR starter for a 99 Suburban with a 454. It bolted right in my car. Just make sure your block is drilled for the pattern of the starter. My crate engines have both the straight and staggered bolt pattern drilled and tapped right from GM. The newer starter I put in was staggered pattern IIRC. I also put in new battery cables to replace my 40 year old positive and ground cables. It is amazing how just the cable swap made it crank so much easier. Sometimes you don't realize how much voltage drop/resistance a wire has.