PDA

View Full Version : What are you doing to your chevelle this winter?

piette
12-28-2009, 09:44 AM
So this is the time of the year al lof us in the cold and snowy parts of the country get to put our cars away for the winter, otherwise known as "the time to do all your big projects so you can actually drive the car when its nice" time of the year.

So what projects are you trying to get done this winter

I have a few, new axles to handle the new power my can makes, I have to install a new tach to replace the one that got stolen in fall, a new stereo to replace the one that also got stolen in fall, probably a driveshaft loop and a few small detailing items under the hood and inside.

Jeff

Hank70SS
12-28-2009, 10:35 AM
I have more things I want to do than I'll probably get around to.

Replace rear UCA bushings.

Replace rear window. Somehow my car ended up with tinted windows on the doors but clear quarter and rear windows. I replaced the quarter windows last spring, have the rear glass just need to install it.

Redo the dash. Installed a new interior last spring, headliner to carpet but didn't touch the dash. I have an original dash pad, needs to be sprayed correct color. Paint the rest of the dash and kick panels. Install a conversion gauge package. I have an SS round dash but not guages.

Derek69SS
12-28-2009, 11:29 AM
Rear suspension... springs, shocks, swaybar, etc.

Still not sure on the axle itself... the 12-bolt is noisy as hell. I want to go with a 9" but also want to keep my LS1 Camaro rear brakes. :rolleyes:

jshiver
12-29-2009, 07:27 AM
I am finishing the motor,trans and turbo install. Motor and trans are in and we are currently fabbing up a turbo mount and then we will start the cross-over piping. Got alittle plumbing and wiring to do once the fab is finished.

rak1
12-29-2009, 01:41 PM
So far I'm into her for 20K just in parts and I still need to do paint. I'm saving up money to finish her but It's going to be at the end of next year before she's done. I do have to fit the new tailgate and finish the interior to keep me busy this winter. I'll post some pictures soon in the picture gallery.

pat565
12-29-2009, 08:29 PM
I have a new crate engine for mine. It's a Hybrid LS 427 from World Products. It should make my driver haul _ss! It's going into my blue 67 Chevelle.

Pat

1964elcamino
12-29-2009, 09:43 PM
I've had my 64 el camino 36 years still collecting and getting close to having all the parts. Just need more time and money. Like everyone else.

68bowtie
12-29-2009, 11:36 PM
I'm just putting a pro systems carb on it and hopefully some bigger front and rear sway bars if money is available.

piette
12-29-2009, 11:48 PM
I'm just putting a pro systems carb on it and hopefully some bigger front and rear sway bars if money is available.

You will be very happy with that prosystems carb, thats what I had built for my new 505, right out of the box it ran incredible.

Hopefully April gets here soon so we can see what my new combo will do at WIR this year. Never got a chance to run it last year with all the rainouts at the end of the year.

jeff

Animal69
12-30-2009, 08:45 AM
I'm trying to recover the seat in my El Camino. I guess I will just pull it out and drop it off at a shop. Anyone know a good one in the west MI area. I'm just north of Muskegon but have kids in Grand Blanc and Southgate.

Hank70SS
12-30-2009, 09:03 AM
Brian, Bowtie-Bri, had his buckets done by a guy in Indiana. Said the price was right and his seats look good. I was going to have someone do mine then decided I'd give it a try myself.

grandsport
12-30-2009, 09:07 AM
I'm just gonna look at him. He's done(for now):)

R66SS427
12-31-2009, 12:35 PM
I drove it home from the last show on oct 25th. At the moment, there is nothing from the windshield forward except the frame horns. Installing a flat firewall panel, cleaning up the frame and wiring, notched the crossmember for some oilpan clearance, new front brakes, and (if the budget holds out) new tubular a-arms. Then, in with a new ZZ502. The heads are off being worked now and we'll be changing the cam then assemble. New flywheel, clutch, pp, tob and I hope I'm done..........for this winter at least.

Chevelle_Nut
12-31-2009, 02:40 PM
My 69 needs dash work (I hate a 69 dash) my bronze 72 needs a few minor things like a package tray and detailing items, my gold 72 is now just a shell with body mount bolts, plenty to do there but I only work on it when my son is in the garage with me.

Seeb
12-31-2009, 06:35 PM
Keepin em warm & dry....not that there's not a few things I should be doing. :(

flash
12-31-2009, 09:03 PM
I need to put the in dash tach in my bu vert but its hard to do while driving it, so I think it just gets driven more. Sorry northern guys ,we can still drive ours in the winter. Just not with the top down as much.

64Malibu
01-02-2010, 10:38 PM
Driving it, just like the last 13 years or so. Did put on new front bumper and trim this summer. It will get the full treatment once I get the 59 PU done.

chevguy65
01-02-2010, 11:32 PM
Driving it, just like the last 13 years or so. Did put on new front bumper and trim this summer. It will get the full treatment once I get the 59 PU done.

Just the bumper and trim gave it a nice facelift and it was fun cruisin in it this summer!!!

bad.samaritan
01-03-2010, 12:26 AM
just got done hauling out the crusty open 10 bolt, as well as the original upper and lower control arms. Had a friend from the other site score me a nice 12 bolt, got the tubes welded, eaton posi, and new 3.42's installed. Also installed adjustable upper control arms, and fully boxed lower control arms. Topped everything off with new shocks. That pretty much depletes the winter fund. Still piecing together a big block on the side, maybe ready spring or summer

OutCast
01-03-2010, 01:29 AM
After running a best of 11.02 @ 118 mph last season, a few key upgrades were in order to get into the 10's this year. Racing on a shoestring, I am very grateful for all my Chevelle friends who have worked on my car, and graciously donated parts to the OutCast Racing Team. :)

Just completed and installed :

* narrowed 12 bolt with Strange 33 spline axles and spool, 4.11 gears courtesy of Dave's Speed and Custom
* Jim Alex pro-built turbo 400 with sprag and custom internals
* UMI adjustable upper control arms and tubular lower control arms
* in the process of installing Dick Miller Racing anti-roll bar to get rid of the massive body twist and hopefully improve my 60's courtesy of Hawaii Mike
* new to me 10.5x28.5x15 slicks courtesy of Tweety Brian and Tim
* new lightweight racing buckets courtesy of my awesome wife
* installing Hurst 1/4 stick courtesy of 66SSFan Mike
* installing four core rad and dual electric fans courtesy of Tweety Brian
* limo tint all the glass
* install overhead switch console
* hook up my nitrous to a wide open throttle switch instead my hokey shift button
* buy a hunting licence for a 10 second time slip

shadowgray396
01-03-2010, 09:46 AM
Since the paint is complete, it's time for the interior to be put back in. Try to start the car since it has not been run in four years and have it ready to drive for the summer.
Ray

BillsCamino
01-03-2010, 10:53 AM
Driving them!!! Waving

grandsport
01-03-2010, 10:57 AM
Driving them!!! Waving

Where? Can't do that where I come from.:mad:

piette
01-03-2010, 11:01 AM
Driving them!!! Waving

We sent a cold streak down there to you Bill, that didnt seem to work, time to see what I can do about working up a good snowfall for you now too.:)

jeff

Andy69
01-03-2010, 11:03 AM
nothing :(

Much of what I need to do on the Chevelle involved painting, which IU cannot do until the temp goes up.

It's too cold in the winter, too hot in the summer. I was gone all spring and fall so I missed the prime painting weather.

Plus, I've been busy with the Buick, trying to find a shop to repair the hood, in what little spare time I have.

66BuickSpecial
01-03-2010, 05:47 PM
I'm replacing this BOP TH350 and Jegs 10" 2700-3000 stall converter...

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t227/66buickspecial/Pinks%20All%20Out%208-15-09/pinksdamage018.jpg

With a Jim Alex prepped TH350 with sprag upgrade, and a Mike Ridings built 9.5" 4200 converter.

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t227/66buickspecial/Pinks%20All%20Out%208-15-09/JimAlexpreppedTH350.jpg

And replacing this...

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t227/66buickspecial/driveshaftfailure2.jpg

With something a little straighter, heavier duty, and with 1350 U-joints.:D

Chevelle_Nut
01-03-2010, 05:48 PM
Ouch!!! That hurts.

OutCast
01-03-2010, 05:50 PM
...With something a little straighter, heavier duty, and with 1350 U-joints.:D

Ah heck, I thought those bends were redneck steady bearings. Waving

66BuickSpecial
01-03-2010, 06:06 PM
Ah heck, I thought those bends were redneck steady bearings. Waving

I've still got it if you want to try it buddy!:D

piette
01-03-2010, 06:18 PM
And replacing this...

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t227/66buickspecial/driveshaftfailure2.jpg

With something a little straighter, heavier duty, and with 1350 U-joints.:D

Thats not one of those new pinion angle correcting drive shafts? I would have never known. You should ebay that thing. :D

Jeff

Hank70SS
01-03-2010, 07:47 PM
Specially designed to go under the cross member and over the H pipe.

cobaltchev67
01-04-2010, 04:10 AM
Let's see if I can remember it all. After finally getting the car "done" in July, I had oil pressure issues at 200 miles, as in it dropped to nearly zero. Pulled the engine out, and the body shop dust from the pan being off for 5 days toasted all the bearings....so it was rebuilt, mostly just the machine work, rings, bearings, new oil pump, etc., and TONS of cleaning every single part.

I didn't like the weak gearset in the ST-10 or the synchros not wanting to shift at 6K RPM in the one trip to the track I made. A Jerico DR4 is now in its place with a Long Vertigate Shifter.

The 10 bolt would also not last with slicks at the track, and was a planned upgrade...so the S60 shows up Monday sometime from Strange Engineering.

I had lightly used Dynomax UltraFlo 3" race mufflers w/14" case on the car, but on the hour trip to the track and another hour trip back, I had a serious headache each way. Out they came, and the new Dynomax Super Turbos will also be here Monday, as well as the tailpipes I planned on putting on but never bought when I ran out of pipe on the first install.

The one thing that definitely had to come out was the Hurst Line Lock button, that sucker was the loudest thing in the car!!! On the freeway, it rattled away louder than the mufflers. It was promply cut out a few weeks ago, and a new momentary switch w/coil wire relocated to the steering wheel.

Still on the dockett list is a true anti-roll bar, drag wheels/slicks and installing the timing retard modules. After that, I think I'm done....for awhile. It's been an expensive winter.

Highway Star
01-04-2010, 06:58 AM
I'll be putting my summit racing brand 2-1/2" exhaust cutouts in and fabricating some sort of cable-operated actuator to open/close them from inside the car somewhere. Also, I am going to continue tuning my sbc and driving all winter as much as I can. Hopefully, I can get the floor console built and put my new sound system in too. Every time I work on the thing, I find two or three little things that need to be addressed too.