PDA

View Full Version : Swapping Parts?

TXATC
11-06-2010, 02:09 PM
Hello all,

I just purchased my 1971 Chevelle last friday. It is in relatively good condition. I had been wanting a Chevelle for the past 16 years and found one I couldn't pass on. Although I love the rear end and taillights on the '71, I'm not to keen on the single front headlight lamps. My question to the masses is if I can replace them with the dual housings from the '70 model as well as the bumper. I know it COULD be done, but I'm wondering if it can be a direct bolt on replacement.

I haven't posted in the intro thread yet but will once I get home with access to a decent camera for pics.

Thanks for all the help and comments! I look forward to sharing the chop, cut, rebuild with ya'll!

Hank70SS
11-06-2010, 05:56 PM
Yes it's a bolt in replacement, almost. You'll need a 70 rad core support, has the holes for 4 headlights. 4 headlight buckets and retaining rings, springs, adjusters. Fender extensions, sheet metal that wraps around headlights. Brackets that hold fender extensions to fender and extensions to cross support. Bumper and I believe bumper filler, not sure on the filler.Grille and associated trim. Not sure on the grille supports, hood latch is the same. Fenders on the 70 have side marker lights, 71 doesn't but you can skip that if you don't care about them.

I may have missed a few little pieces but that's about it. The almost would be the headlight wiring, going from 2 to 4 headlights. It can be done and has been done plenty of times with no sheet metal mods. Just have to acquire all the right parts.

TXATC
11-06-2010, 09:57 PM
Thanks Hank!

I assume by the sheet metal you mean the bezels, also I believe the 70's had the blinkers in the bumper correct? And finally what do you mean by "bumper filler" and what would I need it for?

Rank
11-06-2010, 11:26 PM
Welcome. Funny coincidence I noticed on the trailer of a new movie comeing out in a few weeks the "star" of the show is a 70 Chevelle with a 71 back bumper .... having a 70 myself I picked up on it right away.

Hank70SS
11-07-2010, 06:23 AM
Thanks Hank!

I assume by the sheet metal you mean the bezels, also I believe the 70's had the blinkers in the bumper correct? And finally what do you mean by "bumper filler" and what would I need it for?

The headlight surrounds, bezels, fender extensions, people call them different things. It's sheet metal, body color, blends into the fender and wraps the headlights. Yes, rectangular lights in the bumper. The filler is the flat piece of metal below the grill. It extends from the grill under the top lip of the bumper. Not sure if it's different from 70 to 71.

The hardest part to find, unless they've started to reproduce them, is the bracket that holds the front of the fender to the rad support. I think they reproduce everything else so should be easy to get the parts.

Rank
11-07-2010, 11:51 AM
"Faster" is the title of the movie I referenced

Hank70SS
11-07-2010, 05:30 PM
Welcome. Funny coincidence I noticed on the trailer of a new movie comeing out in a few weeks the "star" of the show is a 70 Chevelle with a 71 back bumper .... having a 70 myself I picked up on it right away.

Seen that more than once in TV shows, movies.

Rank
11-07-2010, 06:35 PM
Seen that more than once in TV shows, movies.

... yeah, and was always going on at the circle tracks!

TXATC
11-16-2010, 01:30 PM
Thanks for the info. I looked into swapping those parts out. I can't find em for less than 500 bucks! Call me a cheapskate but I think the original ones are lookin just fine :)

flash
11-16-2010, 07:37 PM
I like the original ones better .

grandsport
11-16-2010, 07:47 PM
I like the original ones better .

I agree with Flash.

Hank70SS
11-17-2010, 06:28 AM
Thanks for the info. I looked into swapping those parts out. I can't find em for less than 500 bucks! Call me a cheapskate but I think the original ones are lookin just fine :)

You should have mentioned your budget for doing the swap. I would told you up front it couldn't be done for that price. Stick with the original front end, there are enough 70's around. Every year Chevelle is different but they all look good.

TXATC
11-17-2010, 03:43 PM
Budgets not really an issue. I'm just cheap. :) I was just thinkin about it but the originals are just fine. I have noticed quite a few of the 70's. I just don't think spending that kind of cash for something to make people scratch their heads would be good. I mean if I could have found anything in the scrapyards maybe, but those have pretty much been picked clean. Much to my dismay.