PDA

View Full Version : Trans choices

grumpy
10-17-2010, 07:47 PM
Been looking at transmissions for a while. The choices are mind boggling. Lets just say I want a trans that can cruise on the highway and get along with the 3.73's out back. The 700R4 is looking pretty good. Then I see the prices on them when rated up to 550-600 ft lbs. Its pushing 3 grand. The gearstar IV502 700R4 would fit the bill but at the high end of my budget. Any suggestions ?

Highway Star
10-18-2010, 10:57 AM
Dave, don't forget that a "700" trans will require a driveshaft shortening, and IIRC, a x-member modification.

If you're looking for an O/D trans, the "200" is the one you want....you can use your stock driveshaft, and there should already be holes in the frame to move the x-member back a few inches to bolt it in.

I think I'm having deja vu. :D

grumpy
10-18-2010, 11:00 AM
Thanks for the info Jake. Other then being more of a drop in, is there any other advantage to using the 200 ?

Dave

Highway Star
10-18-2010, 11:13 AM
I really don't think so. It has a little less first gear though...which *may* help keep your tires planted. I think both of them can be set up with a switch to lock/unlock the converter. I'd seriously look into this feature because I know you guys cruise your car a LOT. The converter lock-up feature will keep the revs and temp low on the highway.

You may pay a few bucks more for a built-up 200-4R, but you won't have to play driveshaft & crossmember games.

I sound like a salesman for the 200-4R. I'd have one in my car if that $20 bill tree in my back yard would ever PRODUCE!!!!!