PDA

View Full Version : Is it a big deal pulling the motor.......

grandsport
09-18-2010, 03:59 PM
or am I asking for trouble? What started out as a freshening up the engine compartment has turned out to be a full blown project. What are the pitfalls,if any? What should we look out for?

grumpy
09-18-2010, 05:51 PM
Its a few hours work if you get someone to lend you a hand. The pitfall is usually a blown budget lol

Ms Grumpy
09-18-2010, 06:02 PM
Patience. Time. And more patience.

RBeckman
09-18-2010, 07:33 PM
It's really not a bad job..I pulled it by myself before, just needed my wife to help me with the hood. The biggest pain in the ass is the coolant leaking all over. Take pics and mark everything.

Also, when putting it back in be real careful not to hit the heater core tubes as you won't know that you damaged it till you start it up and your interior fills with coolant.

shadowgray396
09-18-2010, 09:04 PM
Any time you pull a motor things can go wrong. How long has your motor been in the car. Seems like taking the exhaust apart is always a pain to do because it always like to rust around the bolts on the flange. It takes about 4 hours to take everything apart to get ready to pull the engine. As long as you have two people it's not to bad. I took my tranny off to make the job easier on mine, but the motor will come out with it on. Have fun on your project.

Ray

grandsport
09-18-2010, 09:18 PM
The motor has been in for 3 years and 1200 miles. There is a stainless exhaust on it,so I think it will be easy to rip apart.My biggest concern is the hood,as I want to get it off,do the underside and put it away.

shadowgray396
09-18-2010, 10:05 PM
Besure to mark with tape where the top of the hinge is so when you put it back on it will be a snap. I had two guys holding the hood and one guy undoing the bolts when I took mine off the other night. I also had towels on the back corners of the hood for protection.

grandsport
09-18-2010, 11:22 PM
Besure to mark with tape where the top of the hinge is so when you put it back on it will be a snap. I had two guys holding the hood and one guy undoing the bolts when I took mine off the other night. I also had towels on the back corners of the hood for protection.

Won't work,as the underhood needs painted the correct gloss . I was thinking of drilling through the 3 holes in the hinges and then putting screws through them for the proper fit and then removing them of course.

Hank70SS
09-19-2010, 06:55 AM
That would work Gary but aligning the hood isn't that hard. If the hinges are staying on the fenders you only have to align the hood front to back. If the hinges are coming all the way off it takes a little longer. I suggest taking some close up pics of the hinges were they attach to the fenders. You can use that to get them pretty close when you put it back together.

If you're going all out to have your car judged I wouldn't be drilling holes through the hinges.

Highway Star
09-19-2010, 07:29 AM
Gary it will get messy. Coolant, trans fluid, etc. You'll need to take great caution not to damage anything when it is on its way out or back in. Will you do this after you tear the front end down? Maybe that is a better idea if you're going to do this is to wait and yank it out AFTER you have the whole front off.

Gary, your appetite/plan is twice the size that it was when you started posting about this a few weeks ago.

shadowgray396
09-19-2010, 10:05 AM
The other trick I have done is scribe a line at the top of the hinge on the hood and when you paint the under side the scribe mark is still there but painted. It has to be deep enough to still see, but won't show once the hood is back on. Sounds like the project is growing. You will need to post a few pictures as you go.

Ray

Bowtie-Bri
09-19-2010, 03:55 PM
Hey Gary,
I just finished that very same thing.I even gave it a name, (Chevelle Rejuvination 2010):D I had planned on just pulling the engine to replace the pan gasket and repaint the engine comp, and ended up having the whole top end rebuilt. I had a new cam, lifters,valves,pushrods,valve springs, rockers, ect. replaced. I figured since the engine was out, I might as well replace the 40 year old upper and lower "A-arm bushings". Then I pulled the steering box and rebuilt the steering linkage. new inner and outer tie rods, center link, idler arm. I also stripped the front frame rails to bare metal. Basicly after pulling the engine, it just snowballed from there. I started this in April and I just finished it last week! I figured if I'm gonna do it, I'm doing it just once. I'm glad I did it and I'm pleased with the results. If you have any questions, I'll do my best to help you out!

grandsport
09-19-2010, 04:09 PM
The front end will be off before I pull the motor. I gotta get the house projects done first.Right now,I'm asking questions and getting my plan in place. Hopefully the 2nd or 3rd week of October. I will post pics from day one.:)

grandsport
09-19-2010, 04:20 PM
Gary it will get messy. Coolant, trans fluid, etc. You'll need to take great caution not to damage anything when it is on its way out or back in. Will you do this after you tear the front end down? Maybe that is a better idea if you're going to do this is to wait and yank it out AFTER you have the whole front off.

Gary, your appetite/plan is twice the size that it was when you started posting about this a few weeks ago.

Isn't that what always happens? I will have the help so I may as well do it right.

Rank
09-19-2010, 04:25 PM
Seldom is the expense of punching a hole in the radiator whilst starting your engine pull weighed by the cost of buying pizza and beer for knowledgable help! LOL

Ms Grumpy
09-19-2010, 06:27 PM
Seldom is the expense of punching a hole in the radiator whilst starting your engine pull weighed by the cost of buying pizza and beer for knowledgable help! LOL

Such wisdom sounds like it comes from experience !!

Chevelle_Nut
09-19-2010, 06:34 PM
Yeah, small refreshes end up in frame off jobs. Ask me how I know.

Pulling the engine is not hard, I have done it in a few hours in the evening, frozen bolts are your enemy. You need to decide if the transmission comes out with the engine or stays in the car. I would take it out because removing the transmission from the bottom of the car with it on stands is a pain. Be careful, take your time.

Oh, sell some Pacificas, you will need the extra cash. Also, the more you break the more it costs you.

Try to avoid the "While I am in there I should..." syndrome.

Rank
09-19-2010, 06:58 PM
Such wisdom sounds like it comes from experience !!

Yes .... I found myself addicted to the stuff! LOL

Bowtie-Bri
09-19-2010, 07:36 PM
(Quote)Try to avoid the "While I am in there I should..." syndrome.

Thats what happened to me!:D

Highway Star
09-20-2010, 08:21 AM
(Quote)Try to avoid the "While I am in there I should..." syndrome.

Thats what happened to me!:D

I think we ALL know that feeling. :D :D