PDA

View Full Version : Anybody have input on crate motors?

Warputer
09-12-2010, 10:49 PM
Good or bad....you guys tell me what you have heard or experienced with crate motors...GM, Blueprint, etc. I've heard a few horror stories in the past from some companies but none about GM motors. I've been eyeing the GM 383 with the fast burn heads that is in all the catalogs. Would be an easy swap with the set up that is currently in the car. Any input would be greatly appreciated. :D

Rank
09-12-2010, 11:33 PM
Maybe GM have improved things since then but it is my understanding that the Goodwrench crate motors were the blocks and pieces that didnt mmet the exacting tolerances of factory installed engines ..... as a boring machine or mill gets used more and more its work gets sloppier and sloppier until the dies and cutters have to be retooled .... the GM engines are the final blocks and parts that were produced right before retooling.

flash
09-13-2010, 06:42 AM
I bought a 290 HP 350 crate motor for my wifes 72 vert about 2 years ago and its been trouble free for 20000 miles . I wanted to rebuild the original but it was going to cost more than a new crate motor and have no warranty. The GM crate motor had a 2 year 100,000 mile warranty.

Highway Star
09-13-2010, 09:14 AM
Before you buy one, explore some options.

We have a member named Brandon that works for a hi-po engine shop in TX. Also, Mark Jones www.vortecproperformance.com builds awesome engines.

I like the idea of hand-assembled instead of mass-produced.

prostreet4ever
09-14-2010, 04:14 AM
Before you buy one, explore some options.

We have a member named Brandon that works for a hi-po engine shop in TX. Also, Mark Jones www.vortecproperformance.com builds awesome engines.

I like the idea of hand-assembled instead of mass-produced.

..Hand-assembled !!! thats what to look for ,as far as I am concerned..
beware also that some crate motors are " rebuilts ",make sure your getting a Brand-New one..

Notalent
09-23-2010, 09:36 AM
Feel free to shoot me a PM. We do anything from your budget build 350 to race/ custom. I hook up alot of the Chevelle members. You can email me at Brandon@Vegena.net.

www.high-performance-engines.com

BillsCamino
09-23-2010, 02:47 PM
I've got a great little Vortec headed, mild Voodoo cammed 350 for sale. Presently in my '67 and has less than 5K miles on it. Hand built by me.
Complete from carb to pan.
Email if interested...

Coys69
11-18-2010, 11:18 AM
I recently purchased a 383 Stroker from Brandon (Notalent above) at ATK. After pricing building vs. buying a crate it's really hard to beat the offerings from buying a crate. I have not dropped the engine in yet, but I'll definitely be getting back to report on the results!