PDA

View Full Version : Engine Problem

shadowgray396
08-25-2010, 10:53 PM
Been working on the Chevelle the last few nights and the engine will only turn about 270 degress and it seems to kit something like a bolt sticking out some where. We have check everything we can think of and still can't find the problem. It turned over ok on the engine stand, but since putting the starter, fuel pump, distrubutor and trans on something has happened. Hoping we are not going to have to pull the engine back out. My friend (mechanic) thinks something may have fallen inside of the engine, but I kept everything covered up so that would not happen. we have done all this by hand and not with the starter to avoid any damage to the engine. Any idea's????

Ray

dbradley
09-02-2010, 06:27 PM
One thing that comes to mind is fuel pump pushrod. If its jammed up against fuel pump lever it could cause your symptom. Another item may be too long a bolt holding a manual transmission on. Could be dragging on pressure plate cover. Another issue I've seen is that the "newer" flywheels don't have as thick a mounting flange as OEM and you have to grind mounting bolts to clear rear of block.

Rank
09-02-2010, 07:25 PM
Automatic or stick? ..... sounds like a torque converter or flywheel bolt is to long ... it has happened to me before!

shadowgray396
09-05-2010, 10:06 AM
4 speed car, I'm going to check the fuel pump. Thanks

Durand
09-09-2010, 09:41 AM
Ray:

Did you find out what was happening?

Durand

shadowgray396
09-09-2010, 08:52 PM
Ray:

Did you find out what was happening?

Durand

Not yet, fuel pump is out of it, pulled the distrubtor, plan to pull the starter and look at transmission and flywheel. Still have not found the problem.

Bowtie-Bri
09-09-2010, 11:19 PM
Wow Ray,
I sure hope you find the problem.
I'm ready to fire up my engine now. Made my forth appt. to have the front alighned for next tues. depending on weather or not my engine starts up with no problems. Good luck with your car. I hope you get to drive it at least once before the snow flies. ;)

shadowgray396
09-16-2010, 11:53 PM
Well just got word that the engine is going to have to be pulled and taken apart to see what is going on. Going over friday to talk with my friend on when he wants to take it out. So far no luck in finding the problem. Thinking something has been drop inside of it.

Ray

shadowgray396
09-17-2010, 10:18 PM
Worked at the shop tonight with my friend and drop the transmission and pulled the hood off. Ready to pull the engine monday. While it is out plan to put it on a test stand and fire it up. That way we can check for any oil leaks or any other problems before we reinstall it. Just another delay on this build. I'm beginning to wonder if this car will every get done. I'm now hoping to have it finished by December 28th on my birthday and it will be exactly five years when I started this project. My original goal was 5 years. I hope I can make it.

shadowgray396
09-22-2010, 12:17 AM
Ready to take the engine out. Everything is disconnected and ready to pull. Tear down begins tomorrow to see what the problem is. Trans seems to have a leak so going to look at it and see what is going on. Hope the problem is minor. This could set me back another year if the motor has big problems. The budget is almost all gone. as you can tell in the picture I'm not a happy camper these days about this car.

Ray

Hank70SS
09-22-2010, 07:02 AM
Seems like things never go the way you plan. Good luck with engine Ray, hope it's nothing major.

shadowgray396
09-22-2010, 11:51 PM
Looks like cylinder No. 2 gets the award. The head gasket was letting water into the cylinder and a rust ring form on the cylinder wall not letting the piston go past it. I purchased a complete 70 CTX motor last summer so I guess I will try to rebuild it ahead of schedule. I had plan to do it it in a couple of years. The motor I had in the car is for a 69. Anyone have any suggestions for the rebuild? Would like to get a little more horse power, but retain the stock look on the outside.

Hank70SS
09-23-2010, 07:03 AM
No suggestions on the rebuild other than the basics, larger valves, some head work, a little bigger cam. Ray Barnes might be interested in the balancer and timing cover off the 69 engine if you don't have any plans for it.

Rank
09-23-2010, 09:27 AM
Got hardened seats? .... thats a biggie!

shadowgray396
09-24-2010, 10:48 PM
Pulling the heads on the 70 CTX motor in the morning and see what lurks inside. Wish me luck that it will be rebuildable. Plan to have it at the machine shop on monday and have it check for cracks once it is cleaned up. So far thing have been going the wrong direction these last few months. Have a great weekend.
Ray

shadowgray396
10-05-2010, 06:12 PM
CTX motor is apart and inside looks not bad at this point. Headed over to the machine shop to have it checked for any cracks in the block. It had a forged steel crankshaft in it even though it only a 2 bolt main, was this common for the 402 350hp engine? My other motor has a cast iron crankshaft. I was thinking the higher horsepower motors and the four bolt main engines had them and not the lower hp motors.

Ray

Rank
10-05-2010, 06:28 PM
I gots a '73 454 275 hp (EPA B.S.!!) from a 73 impala which is only a two bolt. Horsepower wasnt always the deciding factor in what did or didnt get a four bolt ... Most of the station wagons and pick-up trucks with a big block got 'em.