PDA

View Full Version : Here we go again

shadowgray396
08-18-2010, 11:37 PM
Saw this add back in May and purchased this motor.

Just got it shipped to Oregon from Indiana. Jan built 402 with everything on it as it came out of the car. Correct carb, distrubutor, exhaust manifolds,etc. Except it arrivied with out the exhaust manifolds. Not sure if they were taken off in transit or I got screwed again. Sure been having bad luck these days with things for the car. Again I have a call in to see what happened. Motor also looks like it has been stored outside by the rusted shut secondaries on the carb and all the rust in the exhaust ports. Was told it has been stored in a garage. Garage must have seen a flood. Did take one of the valve covers off and things look good inside of there, so hopefully it won't be to bad inside. This is late next winter's project (maybe) once I get the car running the way it is. Car has a 69 motor in it right now.

Ms Grumpy
08-19-2010, 05:51 AM
I love and hate the internet at the same time. And this is one example of it. Good Luck Ray.

Highway Star
08-19-2010, 09:47 AM
Wow, that thing needs some work. I hope you don't find more things wrong with it. Does it spin freely at least?

BillsCamino
08-19-2010, 02:57 PM
I know it was a little difficult in your case but if all possible, I like to view what I'm buying in person...either by flying in or driving.
Case in point...I drove to Lake City, FL last monday to buy a 383 short block. Came home empty...650 miles round trip.
And last Saturday, I drove to Knoxville, TN to deliver an engine in person.
No misunderstandings this way.

shadowgray396
08-19-2010, 05:46 PM
I did talk to the guy this morning and he has the manifolds for me and plans to ship them tomorrow. I plan to take off the oil pan and see what things look like this weekend. Took the valve covers off and looked down at the cam. So far looks good inside. The engine will not spin over at this time. Check the heads and are date code Jan 18th & 23rd and the alternatior is also date coded Jan 7, along with the water pump and distrubitor. It is just as the guy said like it came from the factory, except for the rust on the outside so far.

Hank70SS
08-20-2010, 11:49 AM
If it was stored in an unheated garage for years it could rust like that. Indiana get's cold enough to see a lot of condensation in the garage during the winter. My garage is good but my shed with concrete floor sweats like crazy. Things will get dripping wet sitting in there over the winter.

shadowgray396
08-23-2010, 08:34 PM
If it was stored in an unheated garage for years it could rust like that. Indiana get's cold enough to see a lot of condensation in the garage during the winter. My garage is good but my shed with concrete floor sweats like crazy. Things will get dripping wet sitting in there over the winter.

That what my engine builder said when he looked at last week.

Ray