PDA

View Full Version : 1972 Heat & A/C controls

smokenjoep01
08-14-2010, 09:00 PM
I have my entire a/c box heater box etc. removed from the car. Ther are alot of things that I have concerns about. I want to make sure that I try and eliminate any potential failers down the road.
Like I am going to buy a new heater core and blower motor. There are lots of round diaphram looking things with vacumm lines conected that go to the flappers in the kick panel, cowl panel, heater box etc. What are they? How do I test/refurbish or replace them? Should I lubricate the cables to the controler. The pivots are rusted to the flpper things. Can I wire brush then and paint them? Should I replace all the vacumm control hose? Were would I buy them. Could I test them and reuse them if good still? Should I do something to renew the climate control selector?
Whats the best route to go on A/C? Its a factory air car and I want the air to work, and to work good. Classic air has some update kits
Im sure I will have more questions and have forgot some other questions.

Any suggestions about any of this are welcome. I dont want to have to be replacing stuff once she's all buttoned up.

smokenjoep01
08-15-2010, 08:55 PM
Its a factory air car. All the lines have been cut and there is no compressor. This kit looks like the ticket. http://www.classicautoair.com/GM_OEM_Parts_Engine.html Anyone use this company? What kind of price?

smokenjoep01
08-16-2010, 08:20 AM
Bump TTT TTT

RBeckman
08-16-2010, 09:04 AM
Wow Joe you have quite a mess there. I just had mine apart (non air) and sand blasted everything and change all the hose and lubed all the cables and doors and new heater core and it works great..... word of advice to take good pics of the cable routing as it was two days before I figured it out and then only with pics someone had had of their car as it was apart. I also painted everything and it looks great...to bad no one but me knows it. Also, I was given a good idea and saved about 30 bucks and use plumbers dope that comes like clay bar that I bought at Home Depot for $1.94 that I used to seal the heater core and the outside heater box to firewall. If you need a brand of pic let me know and I have one. Also, use white lithium grease in the spray can and not WD40 to lube everything.

Good luck.