PDA

View Full Version : 72 Driver NorthCarolina UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Pages : [1] 2 3

smokenjoep01
08-14-2010, 08:01 PM
I was to quick to tear down the car and didnt get any photos before the tear down to replace the rotted cowl panel. Not sure if this is the proper forum to post under construction photos. Or is this section for completed cars? Sorry if I f'ed up.
Here is a link to all the photos so far. http://s165.photobucket.com/albums/u73/smokenjoep01/1972%20Chevelle/

flash
08-14-2010, 09:51 PM
Wow ,you got a lot of work ahead of you.

Chevelle_Nut
08-15-2010, 06:45 AM
Post where ever you like, I have 2 72's and Flash is right, you have your work in front of you.

smokenjoep01
08-15-2010, 08:42 PM
Dang, you guys are sounding like a buddy of mine that stopped bye today and asked "when will it be done, a year or so?" I am thinking a month at best. Waiting for the media blaster to set up a date to blast the interior. Firewall(inside), roof and floors. I got the cowl panel set in place today. Will order the rear floor pan tomorrow. Need to buy a gallon of POR15. Has anyone used POR15? Here is a couple pictures of todays progress.

Chevelle_Nut
08-15-2010, 09:32 PM
I did my last 2 big Chevelle projects like you are doing but doing them like that took a lot of time and money, I am happy with the way both turned out. On my current project we were in a stand still but we are getting ready to ramp up on it again.

POR 15 is great stuff but messy. If you can get it done in a month that is awesome.

Hank70SS
08-16-2010, 08:20 PM
I've used POR15 on the frame area when the engine was out. The underside was done by a previous owner, probably more than 20 years ago now. It still looks good, sure it could use a little cleaning but no rust or flaking.

Good luck with the project. A month or so? That would take me years, if I could even do it.

smokenjoep01
08-17-2010, 08:15 AM
A month may be tight. Its one of those things that you often have to ask how far do I want to go? There are a lot of sub assemblys that need to be gone through while I have it apart. Once the dash is back in and the inside is completly media blasted and painted. I can get it at least drivable. Then I can piddle as I drive it.
I bought the car with intentions of driving it daily. Or when I didnt feel like riding my motorcycle to work because it it raining!

Ms Grumpy
08-17-2010, 08:43 PM
A month may be tight. Its one of those things that you often have to ask how far do I want to go? There are a lot of sub assemblys that need to be gone through while I have it apart. Once the dash is back in and the inside is completly media blasted and painted. I can get it at least drivable. Then I can piddle as I drive it.
I bought the car with intentions of driving it daily. Or when I didnt feel like riding my motorcycle to work because it it raining!

I like it when people buy their cars to drive them. It is nice to look at a show car, but even nicer when you see an older car driving down the street.

shadowgray396
08-20-2010, 12:53 AM
Looks like lots of work to get it done in a month. But can be done. Keep us posted on your progress.

Ray

smokenjoep01
08-20-2010, 09:33 AM
Yes it is lots of work. And I still have to make money to sink in to the car as well as support my Harley drag racing habit. I have to keep reminding myself this is going to be a driver and not a museum quality representation of a factory origanal.

smokenjoep01
08-23-2010, 12:16 PM
Well the month goal is quickly slipping away. Was not able to even spend 1 hour working on the car this weekend. Good news is that I made some money to buy more parts for it!

smokenjoep01
08-30-2010, 08:22 AM
This weekend I got the cowl panel welded in. Removed the rear deck lid, fuel tank and rear 1/4 glass. Going to remove the doors and get the car over to the media blasters next Saturday. Once its blasted inside and underneath. I will POR15 it all. Then start putting stuff on, instead of keep taking parts off.

1970Turtle
09-01-2010, 05:15 PM
More money and more parts are always a good thing. I still have a wheelbarrow full of MOOG front end parts for mine I have to find time to install so the wife said no more for now lol. Keep us posted on it, sounds like you're making good progress so far.

smokenjoep01
09-02-2010, 09:33 AM
Looks like more delays. As the weekend approachs, so does hurricane Earl. Hopefully it will be gone by Sat.

Ms Grumpy
09-02-2010, 06:40 PM
Yes it is lots of work. And I still have to make money to sink in to the car as well as support my Harley drag racing habit. I have to keep reminding myself this is going to be a driver and not a museum quality representation of a factory origanal.

There is nothing wrong with that. Hey let's see some pics of the Harley drag racing habit.

smokenjoep01
09-03-2010, 06:45 AM
Its a 2006 Harley VRod Stock 1130cc Direct port Nitrous injected. Belt driven. 9.8's at 135mph

smokenjoep01
09-10-2010, 06:49 AM
Bellied up for a new American Auto wire classic update harness and a rear under seat pan. Hopefully will be getting the inside of the body media blasted this weekend.
I have some rot over the top center of the windshield and need to put some good metal in there. I cant find a repro window channel sheet metal replacement peice anywere. My options are looking like either finding a donor car that I can cut out the needed peice and weld it in to mine, or make it from scratch. Any other options out there? Anyone have a front roof clip?

chevybuff
09-10-2010, 09:41 PM
Really nice pics buddy - best of luck to you!! Waving

smokenjoep01
09-13-2010, 09:46 AM
No media blasting this weekend. Cut out the floor pan below the rear seats and have the new pan ready to drop in. At this point I have decided to pull the motor and trans and do a complete inside and out media blast.

smokenjoep01
09-22-2010, 08:40 AM
Got the interior and underside/chassis media blasted this past weekend. There was alot of hidden rot covered with body filler that would of bubbled the paint. My projections of a month have quickly dissolved. The extent that I am going I would hope at this point to be driving by spring. It really looks good with the POR15, buthave lots of metal work ahead of me. Dont even want to to think of the moneyits going to take.

Ms Grumpy
09-22-2010, 02:17 PM
Got the interior and underside/chassis media blasted this past weekend. There was alot of hidden rot covered with body filler that would of bubbled the paint. My projections of a month have quickly dissolved. The extent that I am going I would hope at this point to be driving by spring. It really looks good with the POR15, buthave lots of metal work ahead of me. Dont even want to to think of the moneyits going to take.

Sometimes slow and steady wins the race. If it was easy then everyone would do it. It takes a someone with a passion to take the time and effort to do what you are doing.

Sometimes we may not post, but we are reading about your progress.

smokenjoep01
09-27-2010, 06:13 AM
Was able to get the rear under seat pan preped for install. Welded in a patch that was needed to be in place before the rear pan is installed. The rains came and forced me to wrap up early.
I'm going to make some paper patterns over the week and possibly get them transfered and cut out. That way I have a bit of a jump on next weekends plans. I'll try and post up some pictures soon.

smokenjoep01
10-17-2010, 03:50 PM
Have been working about 10 hours a week on the car. Mostly weekends. Figured I would post up some pictures of the metal work. Going to do all the interior patchs done, then move on to the outside. Pics of the floor pan placed in before media blast. And media blaster going at it.

smokenjoep01
10-17-2010, 03:57 PM
After the body was media blasted under the roof, and the entire inside and underneath the body. The entire chassis was done as well. I had to work fast to get it covered. I sprayed it with my Harbor Freight gun using POR15.

smokenjoep01
10-17-2010, 04:17 PM
Some of the first custom fab on the right bottom door jamb. Where it transitions to the rocker panel. When I say first, its two meaning. First piece that I didnt use any store bought peices and first time I have welded in 15 years. Need to bolt the doors on and confirm fit.

smokenjoep01
10-17-2010, 04:42 PM
I didnt realize that I did not take any pictures of the rear floor pan section welded in complete. Those will come soon.
Just about got the bottom right corner of the rear window built and finished. Used the chrome trim to keep my lines were I had no metal to go by.

smokenjoep01
10-17-2010, 04:48 PM
Dang, you guys are sounding like a buddy of mine that stopped bye today and asked "when will it be done, a year or so?" I am thinking a month at best.

Its been two months and havent put a part back on yet! Cold weathers coming.

Chevelle_Nut
10-17-2010, 05:21 PM
Yup, that is the way it goes. We are doing basic suspension part cleanup on ours, we could be moving faster but one day it will be back together.

Berg
10-28-2010, 02:46 PM
I just read up on your progress and even though you are pushing 2 months you are making steady progress. At least doing it this way lets you make money to spend on it, and by pushing the expenses further apart you can spend more because you keep less track of your budget :o)

smokenjoep01
10-29-2010, 06:18 AM
Great point. As I only get paid monthly!

Ms Grumpy
10-29-2010, 08:10 PM
You can never get paid enough, or should I say often enough, when it comes to working on your car. It is great to see the pics of your progress.

smokenjoep01
11-14-2010, 09:44 AM
About 90 days into it. Still chipping away. I tried a new approach to repairing the bottom of the rear window. I prefabbed a piece then installed it. Seemed to work a lot better than my previous attempt on the other side.
The rear quarters are going to need some patchs. The patchs are ordered and on the way. Then a repair over the top of the windshield and the body will be done with welding.
Still have to repair the doors and front fenders. Going to get the motor tore down and get the block and heads to the machine shop during this week. Decided to just refresh the stock 307 and have piece of mind and reliability, while saving for a big block.

smokenjoep01
11-20-2010, 04:18 PM
Tore down the motor over the week and brought the block,heads and crank to the machine shop. Going to bore/hone it. Hot tank the block and heads. New brass freeze plugs, cam bearings. And a valve job with new springs.
Started the left lower front quarter and have that finished. Going to move to the rear lower quarter in the morning.
I seen a sweet green early 70's Camaro. After seeing it I have been bouncing around the idea on going green with black stripes. Its got to be the right green. And I have to be able to get in in a single step paint. Still have lots of work before painting. But I do have to decide soon. Going to be jamming out the edges and around the glass before glass and doors go back in.

smokenjoep01
12-30-2010, 08:59 PM
Just a update. Was checking in to see whats new here lately and realized I havent posted in over a month on my progress. Thankfully I have been able to get some work done on the Chevelle since my last visit to the forum. I have just about all the metal work done on the body. Just need to finish the rotted section over top center of the windshield. Looking to get that done over this coming weekend. Then I'm gonna start the metal work on the doors. Then the fenders will be the last thing.
Im on the fence as far as colors to paint it when its going back together. I want a green. My buddy thats a body man said that most greens Im looking at are two stage and thats more involved to paint. If I stay with a red, he says I can get that in a single stage. Then Im able to do sections or pieces as time allows. That going to be the best bet.
Any suggestions or constructive critisim is greatly appreciated.

flash
12-30-2010, 09:34 PM
Great progress so far .Im not a fan of green ,but its your car so do what makes you happy.

Ms Grumpy
01-03-2011, 07:16 PM
Smokenjoe, boy I wish mine had been in as good of shape as yours. I love your by line at the bottom...I HATE RUST !!! me too.

smokenjoep01
01-04-2011, 06:19 AM
It is definatly looking better than it did. Hopefully I can get it back to the media blaster this weekend and have the outside of the body blasted. Then I can get it in epoxy primer!

smokenjoep01
01-11-2011, 09:53 AM
Weather didnt cooperate this past weekend. I did get one of the doors blasted. Then made some patchs and got them welded in. Lots of grinding. I spent every bit of 10 hours on the one door. Still have welds that havent been grinded down.
Thankfully we had a inch of snow and it paralized the city. Im working on my second day off of work. Just gotta go get some uni-mix and get back here and get back on it.
The sheetmetal is really coming along. Its now coming down to the time were I have to start buying some real parts. Thank god the tax refunds are right around the corner.

smokenjoep01
01-19-2011, 08:00 AM
Laying body filler sure is a aquired art. I have applied and sanded the stuff right back off. I borrowed a board sander that seems to help. But my compressor isnt keeping up with it very well. I have to sand for a bit, then wait.
The bottom inside of the door is probably a hard place to start. Maybe the wide open panels might be a bit easyier. Pictures coming soon.

shadowgray396
01-19-2011, 08:51 AM
Progress is looking good. Very nice work. Keep us posted on your progress.

Ray

smokenjoep01
01-23-2011, 08:24 PM
Thanks Ray. Well another weekend has come to an end and I chipped away as best I could. I have every bit of fourty hours in just this left door. Thats welding patchs and then the body filler. I really wasted lots of time learning the art of applying body filler. I would of had a lot less time if I was better with the body filler, plus I am pretty anal about quality.
I was able to actually spray primer on the door finaly this evening. I only had my phone camera and am unable to figure out how to email it to get it posted. I do have pictures of what the door looked like before it was blasted, after it was blasted, during welding patchs, after welds were grinded etc.
Also have some pictures of the rot over the top of the windshield that I am going to tackle in the evenings this week. Hopefully! Just never enough time in the day to make money, honey do list , and work on the Chevelle. :beer:

smokenjoep01
01-23-2011, 08:29 PM
More pictures

smokenjoep01
01-23-2011, 08:57 PM
Woops, sorry bought that. Here they are. Ill have to flip the door over and post a picture of the outside of the door.

1970Turtle
01-24-2011, 09:33 PM
Looking good man, keep it up. Can't wait to see how you handle that rust on the windshield. Seems like our chevelles have rust in the exact same places. You're my mentor:ntwrthy:

smokenjoep01
01-25-2011, 06:47 AM
I have the rust cut out of the windshield now and got a piece of 20 gauge sheet metal bent to go in there. Going to try to get it knocked out Sat.

smokenjoep01
01-28-2011, 05:56 PM
Got home tonight and got right started on the top of the windshield. Got the piece I had bent tacked in. Going to fit the chrome trim piece in the morning and confirm I have the proper lines. Then I will weld in a piece I have that will go on the inside.
Also made some pictures of the door that I have in primer and the body work, pretty tight. Just need to block sand it out and putty it. Even got the hinges with the new bushings, pins, & detents. I hope someone enjoys the pictures as much as I do.

smokenjoep01
01-30-2011, 07:22 PM
Sat. & Sun. progress. Got the roof line finish welded and ground down on the outside. I did not weld the inside up yet. I am going to get my windshield and lay it in to fine tune the final metal shaping. The chrome moulding is fitting up well.
The right door came back from the media blaster and I dove into that. The lower crimp area at the bottom of the door needs the most work. I pryed back the crimp and removed the rotted metal between were the media couldnt reach. Wire brushed the scaley stuff of and put some POR15 to the metal that wasent hit by media. Best I can do on my budget. Hope yall enjoy the phots.
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u73/smokenjoep01/1972%20Chevelle/ChevelleJan302011005.jpg
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u73/smokenjoep01/1972%20Chevelle/ChevelleJan302011008.jpg
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u73/smokenjoep01/1972%20Chevelle/ChevelleJan302011010.jpg
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u73/smokenjoep01/1972%20Chevelle/ChevelleJan302011013.jpg
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u73/smokenjoep01/1972%20Chevelle/ChevelleJan302011012.jpg

Berg
02-02-2011, 11:59 AM
i wish i was better at metal work, its looking great! My doors aren't as rotted as yours and i'm debating replacement just so the rust won't find its way back for a while.

flash
02-02-2011, 05:21 PM
You are quite talented at fighting rust ,I wish I was . Keep the pics coming ,cant wait to see it all finished .

smokenjoep01
02-03-2011, 06:59 AM
The rust coming back is a big concern of mine. I just dont have the $ to buy new ones. Also I have heard they most often need work as well. The parts that can be directly sandblasted I'm not to concerned with. Its the areas were two or more pieces of metal meet up. The media dosent get the rust out from between the metals were the rust is growing. Thats the reason Im trying to cut out as much as possible and POR15 were I cant get.
I have seriously considered pouring motor oil on the inside of the doors and inside the rocker panels. Right after I get it painted. My therory is that it will seep in to the cracks and crevises and keep the rust down. Theres most likey a less redneck method!
Thanks for looking and taking the time to commment. Most cant appreciate the time spent restoring these cars. So it feels nice to hear from people that can appreciate it.

smokenjoep01
02-06-2011, 07:53 AM
Fri./Sat. progress
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u73/smokenjoep01/febuary52011015.jpg
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u73/smokenjoep01/febuary52011016.jpg
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u73/smokenjoep01/febuary52011019.jpg
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u73/smokenjoep01/febuary52011020.jpg
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u73/smokenjoep01/febuary52011021.jpg

smokenjoep01
02-13-2011, 08:13 PM
This past weekend the metal work was finished on the passengers door, roughed out the tiger hair. Also had my significant other POR15 the inside of the drivers door. That was already in epoxy primer on the outside. Just needed the POR15 rubbed in on the exposed metal from the blaster and the metal patchs. That was a big help alone. She did a great job brushing it in the cracks and crevis's.
Need a skim coat of some filler next. Then flip it over and fill the outside patchs. The weekend can never come to soon. And I can never get enough work done in a weekend!

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u73/smokenjoep01/Febuary132011Chevelle002.jpg
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u73/smokenjoep01/Febuary132011Chevelle005.jpg
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u73/smokenjoep01/Febuary132011Chevelle006.jpg
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u73/smokenjoep01/Febuary132011Chevelle007.jpg
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u73/smokenjoep01/Febuary132011Chevelle009.jpg
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u73/smokenjoep01/Febuary132011Chevelle010.jpg

smokenjoep01
02-13-2011, 08:15 PM
Same weekend Feb.13, 2011
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u73/smokenjoep01/Febuary132011Chevelle011.jpg
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u73/smokenjoep01/Febuary132011Chevelle013.jpg
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u73/smokenjoep01/Febuary132011Chevelle014.jpg

flash
02-13-2011, 09:04 PM
Looks good ,Ive got a couple of doors I need to try that on .Not doors Im going to use so it wont really matter how they turn out .

smokenjoep01
02-14-2011, 06:25 AM
.Not doors Im going to use so it wont really matter how they turn out .
Say what????????????????????????

smokenjoep01
02-23-2011, 07:36 PM
This past weekend. Feb19-20. The doors got guide coat sanded and are ready for a another coat of primer. The doors hinges were sandblasted sprayed with POR15 and got new pins bushings and detents.
The rear deck lid came back from the media blaster and is garbage and I decided to go with a new one. I heard of a small 60's Camaro supply company a few miles out of town. Come to find out he had a GoodMark rear deck lid that someone ordered and never picked up. He really took care of me on it$.
Also had the rear valance blasted with the deck lid. The valance is usable and I got that in first coat of filler. Then got the new windshield test fitted. Thankfully it sits flat all along the edges.
Monday the power disk conversion and complete brake line kit came in.That will go along great with the new Moog front end parts. Next Ive got to break down the front end and strip the fenders. Took lots of pictures for assembly.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u73/smokenjoep01/1972%20Chevelle/Feb192011001.jpg
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u73/smokenjoep01/1972%20Chevelle/Feb192011002.jpg
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u73/smokenjoep01/1972%20Chevelle/Feb192011005.jpg
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u73/smokenjoep01/1972%20Chevelle/Feb192011003.jpg
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u73/smokenjoep01/1972%20Chevelle/Feb192011004.jpg
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u73/smokenjoep01/1972%20Chevelle/Feb192011010.jpg

smokenjoep01
02-23-2011, 07:40 PM
More from Feb.19-20,2011

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u73/smokenjoep01/1972%20Chevelle/Feb192011017.jpg
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u73/smokenjoep01/1972%20Chevelle/Feb192011016.jpg
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u73/smokenjoep01/1972%20Chevelle/Feb192011024.jpg
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u73/smokenjoep01/1972%20Chevelle/Feb192011025.jpg
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u73/smokenjoep01/1972%20Chevelle/Feb192011026.jpg
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u73/smokenjoep01/1972%20Chevelle/Feb192011027.jpg

flash
02-23-2011, 09:00 PM
Boy youve been busy ,it looks good . I wish I had your patience and talent for metal work . Right Stuff Detailing is a great company to do business with .I dont know if you dealt with them direct or thu a vendor but if youre ever in their part of Ohio you should stop in for a tour of their facility.The owner has several nice camaros stacked up on lifts on one side of his building.

smokenjoep01
02-24-2011, 06:16 AM
Bought the Right Stuff disc conversion and a complete car brake line kit for a couple bucks over Five hundred shipped to the house from Matts classic bowties.

flash
02-24-2011, 06:30 AM
You did good on the prices ,sorry I could'nt go lower on mine. Mine are probably going with my project car that I have listed on Craigslist .I need the room ,5 cars in one building is just too much .

smokenjoep01
02-27-2011, 06:46 PM
Weekend of Febuary 26-27, 2011. I was able to get the second coat of primer on the doors. Sprayed some guide coat on them and put them in a safe location till I,m ready to get them to the painter. Also got the bottom of the rear trunk lid in a coat of primer. As well as the rear valance panel.
Then broke down the front clip. Looks like I will need a left fender and a right inner fender & bottom repair piece as well as a battery tray. The rad support is border line, but a light sandblast and some welded patchs and it should be just fine. I will also need a new grille and radiator shroud. The hood was new before the repaint before I bought the car so I just had to sand off the black SS stripes. About a six hour job with my weak comperssor.
Going to start working on the body shell next weekend. I scared my drip rail frames look a bit scailey. Hopefully can get those and the roof panel media blasted. Enjoy the pictures!

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u73/smokenjoep01/1972%20Chevelle/Feb272011Noseteardown033.jpg
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u73/smokenjoep01/1972%20Chevelle/Feb272011Noseteardown008.jpg
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u73/smokenjoep01/1972%20Chevelle/Feb272011Noseteardown003.jpg
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u73/smokenjoep01/1972%20Chevelle/Feb272011Noseteardown032.jpg
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u73/smokenjoep01/1972%20Chevelle/Feb272011Noseteardown017.jpg
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u73/smokenjoep01/1972%20Chevelle/Feb272011Noseteardown024.jpg

smokenjoep01
02-27-2011, 06:48 PM
Feb. 26-27 2011 More pictures! By the time I'm done the car this thread will be 40 pages long. HAHA
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u73/smokenjoep01/1972%20Chevelle/Feb272011Noseteardown018.jpg
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u73/smokenjoep01/1972%20Chevelle/Feb272011Noseteardown019.jpg
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u73/smokenjoep01/1972%20Chevelle/Feb272011Noseteardown022.jpg
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u73/smokenjoep01/1972%20Chevelle/Feb272011Noseteardown023.jpg
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u73/smokenjoep01/1972%20Chevelle/Feb272011Noseteardown025.jpg
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u73/smokenjoep01/1972%20Chevelle/Feb272011Noseteardown030.jpg

flash
02-28-2011, 01:34 PM
Looking good ,when is it going to be complete ?

smokenjoep01
03-01-2011, 06:32 AM
I would love to have it at least in paint by my birthday. April 5th That gives me a little over a month to get my present to myself done. Wish me luck.

smokenjoep01
03-01-2011, 07:47 PM
As luck would have it. I got a call from the carb shop that is rebuilding my donor Holley carb. It was ready. It looks great. I had a aircleaner kicking around that fit. It will need the connectors for the throttle and kick down. Not sure how that works. Anyone got a pictures?
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u73/smokenjoep01/1972%20Chevelle/CarbIntake003.jpg
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u73/smokenjoep01/1972%20Chevelle/CarbIntake006.jpg
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u73/smokenjoep01/1972%20Chevelle/CarbIntake007.jpg
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u73/smokenjoep01/1972%20Chevelle/CarbIntake008.jpg
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u73/smokenjoep01/1972%20Chevelle/CarbIntake009.jpg
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u73/smokenjoep01/1972%20Chevelle/CarbIntake010.jpg

smokenjoep01
03-06-2011, 07:28 PM
Weekend of march 5-6 2011 I picked up the motor parts from the machine shop Friday. It took most of Saturday to get the short block together. Sunday installed the Heads, Cam, Timing chain and Primed and Painted the motor. Did it in the stock 72 Chevy Red. Good news is that it looks like all the motor parts are made in the USA! Going to shoot for getting the roof media blasted next weekend.
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u73/smokenjoep01/1972%20Chevelle/March62011V8Motorjob002.jpg
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u73/smokenjoep01/1972%20Chevelle/March62011V8Motorjob001.jpg
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u73/smokenjoep01/1972%20Chevelle/March62011V8Motorjob003.jpg
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u73/smokenjoep01/1972%20Chevelle/March62011V8Motorjob015.jpg
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u73/smokenjoep01/1972%20Chevelle/March62011V8Motorjob018.jpg
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u73/smokenjoep01/1972%20Chevelle/March62011V8Motorjob022.jpg

smokenjoep01
03-06-2011, 07:38 PM
March 5-6 2011 Continued
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u73/smokenjoep01/1972%20Chevelle/March62011V8Motorjob025.jpg
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u73/smokenjoep01/1972%20Chevelle/March62011V8Motorjob031.jpg
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u73/smokenjoep01/1972%20Chevelle/March62011V8Motorjob034.jpg
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u73/smokenjoep01/1972%20Chevelle/March62011V8Motorjob044-1.jpg
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u73/smokenjoep01/1972%20Chevelle/March62011V8Motorjob053-1.jpg
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u73/smokenjoep01/1972%20Chevelle/March62011V8Motorjob061-1.jpg

Berg
03-07-2011, 02:45 PM
Looks like you are making good progress. I wish I had the time/money to put into my car. I got my tax return back with plans of putting it into the car before the house caught up. 2 new doors, moldings, weatherstripping, paint, nails, a little sheetrock and electrical to go along with it and the money was almost totally gone. On the other hand, It has been warmer and the oil is lasting longer. I'm debating just sending it out to get the body work done so I can go back to using it again. What color combo are you going with, and what kind of interior will you be doing? Is it going to be as close to stock as possible or are you going a different route?

smokenjoep01
03-08-2011, 06:22 AM
Sure isnt easy to juggle the time and money. I just insist on Sat and Sundays working on the car. The tax refund sure helped out the project. But I will have some home maintainace to catch up on as well. Just try to do it week nights.
Its looking like it will be a standard single stage bright red. Black heavy chevy stripe. I got a brand new interior in the packing when I bought the car. Its black. Bench seat column shift. Auto with a/c

smokenjoep01
03-14-2011, 06:47 AM
Weekend of March 12-13, 2011 I worked on getting the left side of the body in primer. Didnt even get to finish it. Im really slow at the body filler. I do a lot of putting it on and sanding it right back off. And my compressor is weak. Should be able to get the last bit of sanding done and blow some primer on it tonight after work. Man does my arms and back hurt from sanding all weekend.
Anyone wanna come over and help sand? Free beer when were done for the day!
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u73/smokenjoep01/1972%20Chevelle/carbikesmotor006.jpg
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u73/smokenjoep01/1972%20Chevelle/carbikesmotor007.jpg
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u73/smokenjoep01/1972%20Chevelle/carbikesmotor008.jpg
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u73/smokenjoep01/1972%20Chevelle/carbikesmotor009.jpg
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u73/smokenjoep01/1972%20Chevelle/carbikesmotor010.jpg
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u73/smokenjoep01/1972%20Chevelle/carbikesmotor011.jpg

Berg
03-14-2011, 11:23 AM
man, if you weren't in NC and I had more time on my hands I'd stop over to help with what I can help with. I'm jealous with all this progress you are making. I thought my $4,100 tax return was going towards the car and boat but it went right back into the house. Go figure. I need to sell all sorts of stuff I hoarded in my garage

smokenjoep01
03-22-2011, 06:47 PM
Weekend of March 19th 2011 was a great weekend. We were able to get the car over to the media blaster and had the roof (outside), windshield pillars and the left sail panel down to the body line blasted and in epoxy primer. Did get a ruff coat of all metal on the roof joints and weld some small patchs, all before the primer went on. I had to work fast because I was afraid that the raw metal would rust up in the humidity. All the stars aligned and it took well. Really excited to move on further. I hope yall enjoy the photos. Also added some to my last post on the previous page. PEACE!
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u73/smokenjoep01/1972%20Chevelle/carbikesmotor012.jpg
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u73/smokenjoep01/1972%20Chevelle/carbikesmotor014.jpg
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u73/smokenjoep01/1972%20Chevelle/carbikesmotor015.jpg
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u73/smokenjoep01/1972%20Chevelle/carbikesmotor017.jpg
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u73/smokenjoep01/1972%20Chevelle/carbikesmotor018.jpg
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u73/smokenjoep01/1972%20Chevelle/carbikesmotor026.jpg

shadowgray396
03-23-2011, 12:02 AM
Looking good, you are off to a great start. Nice looking weather.

Ray

Ms Grumpy
03-23-2011, 07:43 PM
Man I wish that mine had looked that good after the media blasting. Great pics.....Looking good.

smokenjoep01
03-24-2011, 08:30 AM
Thank you all for responding. The weather here is great and I am out of work today (Thursday) at 10:30a and off Friday. Going to have lunch today with the miss'es then jump on the Chevelle for a long weekend of productivity. Lots more work ahead. Cant wait to drive the dang thing.
Everybody enjoy your weekend.

smokenjoep01
03-29-2011, 07:53 AM
Weekend of March26-27 2011 I didnt get as much done as I ws expecting. The temps were in the low 40's and it was overcast most the time. And drizzling off and on. I was able to do the first block sanding on the left quarter panel and sail panel. Its not pretty. Lots of low spots to fill. Then I drilled some access holes to the body mount nuts. Soaked them down with PB blaster. Hopefully I will get more done next weekend. Its going to be tough to get pictures posted up. My laptop accidently got smashed on the coffee table.

smokenjoep01
04-11-2011, 06:55 AM
I have been making progress on the project. I do have pictures. Just need to figure out the best way to upload them and get them posted. Worked on blocking out the left side of the car. Also worked on the floors. Hopefully getting to the body shop for paint May 2. I have all of next week off. At least the front end is all new sheeltmeatl. But that may be a chore fitting. Wish me luck

smokenjoep01
04-25-2011, 08:39 AM
Been working on the car, Still have not gotten my computer issue squared away. I do have lots of pictures on my camera. The floors and trunk are done. I have put POR15 on everything inside, top to bottom. The firewall looks great. Just need to get the right rear quarter panel sandblasted. Then I can do the bodywork on it. The front fenders and hood are new. Hopefully they will line up relativly easy and I can get this thing to paint.

smokenjoep01
05-02-2011, 08:12 AM
I had to work this past Saturday so I didnt get anything done. Sunday I was doing some finish body work on the trunk pan and my compressor threw a rod. So close but yet so far. Stillneed to get the right side rocker and quarted panle blasted.

smokenjoep01
05-05-2011, 08:29 AM
Got a couple pics off the camera. Cant believe I dont have one of the firewall. It looks great.

Berg
05-05-2011, 08:46 AM
Those are some nice looking floors! We don't usually get that lucky up where I live. By the way my compressor joined yours in the scrap pile. I beat the hell out of it for the last 12 years and it finally blew up. I blew the head gasket on it I guess about 4 years back and had 2 snapped head bolts when i took it apart. I ended up tapping and installing studs, rebuilding it and got a few more years out of it. It finally popped when I aired the tires back up on my K5 Blazer. Now its time for a new cast iron belt-driven one. The aluminum direct drives are so damn loud I can't hear myself think in the garage

chevyss1
05-05-2011, 10:31 AM
Looks like fun - can't wait to see the results

smokenjoep01
05-09-2011, 06:37 AM
May 8, 2011 "Mothers Day" I finished the trunk pan. Now the floorboards and trunk pans are done. The entire interior of the body has several coats of POR15. The firewall is complete on both sides.
Now I just have to get my media blaster motivated and get the right rear quarter blasted. Hopefully this coming Sat.

69tobe
05-10-2011, 01:54 PM
thats cool, mine has more work to do on it, ill post pics soon

smokenjoep01
05-31-2011, 06:46 AM
3- Straight weekends with very little progress. We had Bike week the past 2 weeknds. Then this weekend for Memorial day we headed to the mountains of Virginia for some canoeing.
Very motivated to get the last bit of sandblasting done on the right rear quarte, radiator support and the left inner fender. The painter keeps asking me when Im getting it to him.

smokenjoep01
06-06-2011, 06:54 AM
June 4, 2011 Saturday I was finaly able to do some work on the car. Not being able to get the quarter panel sanblasted this weekend. It was decided to work on the motor and finish it up. The cam I ended up using is a Summit #SUM-1787 Its 260/260 adv. duration and .427/.427 lift. Also used stamped roller rocker arms. Got it completly buttoned up with all new mini starter, updated alternator, new harmonic balancer etc. Valves adjusted. Couldnt find the oil filter part that bolts to the block. It must be at the machine shop. So I wasnt able to get it primed. Need some break in additive or break in oil. Next I Need to find a turbo350 core, as mine was junk. They are getting hard to find.

Sunday- I removed the drum brakes and control arms. Cleaned up all the frame forward of the firewall. Got it sanded(most of it already has a coat of POR15 from when sandblasted)and cleaned to get ready for the POR15 and then the thunder clouds moved in. The ones that make it look like dusk in the middle of the day. So I cover the car and sat on the deck and drank beer. The rains came and I was very greatful because we havent had rain in a long while. We are in a serious drought. It was nice to see rain beed up on the deck I pressure washed and sealed last weekend, instead of working on the Chevelle. Over this week Im gonna replace the ball joints with some new Moog's and also replace the control arm bushings. I had one that had zero rubber left. All but one ball joint were toast. Cant wait to drive it with all new moog suspension parts and the Grand Cherokee steering box. Pictures coming soon.

smokenjoep01
06-20-2011, 10:06 AM
June 18, 2011 (Saturday) Was the day I was able to get the last of the sandblasting done on the Chevelle. What little rust holes that showed up I was able to stich weld up with my mig gun. All of its grinded and ready for epoxy primer. I just ran out of time and will finish taping off and try and get the primer on tonight. When the right rear quarter was getting blasted. I also had them blast the radiator support and the left inner fender. Both the support and inner fender are in a nice coat of POR15 thanks to my girl Julie spending her Sunday out in the shop painting. I took lots of pictures. Just havent down loaded them yet.
I brought the controls arms with the bushings and ball joints to my buddies brothers shop and had him install them. WOW was I hosed! $241.35. Two hours labor @ $70.00 p/hour and the rest was for the control arm bushings he said he "could only get in a kit". But there done and back on the car with new springs, tie rods etc. Also installed the disk brake spindles and rotors from my disk brake swap kit from Right Stuff. The caliper brackets dont seem to beefy, but will work. Other than that the kit is very nice.
Also got the lastl ittle bits on the motor finished and got it about ready to be dropped in. Just need to add the oil and prime it. And I was lucky enough to find a core TH350 on Craigslist for $80.00 bucks and have that at the rebuilders. So things are coming along. After I get the primer on. I wanna get both doors on. Then the rad support so that I can start getting my new fenders on. The hood, etc. Make it look like a car again! Pictures to come soon.

Ms Grumpy
06-21-2011, 05:02 PM
Sounds like you have a lot of support from your girl Julie, she was doing some painting and that saved you a lot of time. It is so nice to read your updates and I can't wait to see some of the pics.

smokenjoep01
06-23-2011, 01:53 PM
Some pictures. First picture of the upper balljoint, if you notice the boot dosent fit the top properly. Is this because there is no motor in the frame? Will it fit/look right with the weight of the motor on it? Or did I assemble something wrong?

smokenjoep01
06-23-2011, 01:58 PM
More Photos and Julie my sweetheart helping POR15 the radiator support and inner fender.

smokenjoep01
06-23-2011, 02:04 PM
More photos

smokenjoep01
06-23-2011, 02:10 PM
A couple random shots of my dog (Ralph) keeping an eye on me while I work. He cant wait to go for a ride!
Also a very rare bike I am tearing down and painting flat black with gloss black ghost flames. Why he wants to ruin a perfectly good paint job, I have no Idea. I just need the money! I hope yall enjoy. Thanks for taken the time to look.

smokenjoep01
06-23-2011, 02:11 PM
Most recent photos start on the previous page. Post#89

Ms Grumpy
06-23-2011, 08:38 PM
I like the pics joe. Just wondering whose bikes are in the pics in the garage. We were trying to figure out what those were.

smokenjoep01
06-27-2011, 05:58 AM
I like the pics joe. Just wondering whose bikes are in the pics in the garage. We were trying to figure out what those were.

Most of those bikes in the photos are customers.
What do yall think of the top balljoint in the first photo of post #89? The boots not hitting the spindle.
This weekend went slow not a lot of progress. But I did get some things done.

Berg
07-07-2011, 12:43 PM
Its hard to say until the complete nose is on it and you got the engine and trans in it. The suspension will drop a good amount and it may seat. Are you sure the ball joints are fully seated? Is it all stock replacement stuff? I know some spindles are machined to take B-body ball joints instead of the A-body joints for running Caprice/Impala brakes on a Chevelle. Is it possible you got the wrong ones? maybe just the boots are wrong? I'd get it loaded to ride height before jumping to any conclusions but just some things to think about.

smokenjoep01
07-18-2011, 09:18 AM
Well Ive been away on vacation for the last three weekends. And the entire past week I was out of state on my real weeks vacation from work. This weekend its time to get the nose mocked up. Hope everyones been doing good.

Berg
07-25-2011, 02:16 PM
How'd the weekend go for working on the car? Up here on LI the weather killed me. It was sunny but too humid and 100 degrees. Not good for getting things done. Luckily I got both my Chevelles indoors and the black car is probably going on ebay at the end of this week.

smokenjoep01
07-26-2011, 06:19 AM
It was waaay to hot to do anything outdoors. Thinking about tinking nights this week. Forecast is for another very hot weekend.

smokenjoep01
08-01-2011, 12:05 PM
And it was another very hot weekend. Highs over 100 degrees. I feel guilty leaving it out in the yard under the tarp. What gets me is its only the first day of August.

flash
08-02-2011, 11:17 AM
Same here ,its to hot to do much out side .

smokenjoep01
08-11-2011, 07:14 AM
Predictions are for high 80's this weekend. I sooo wanna get some work done. My transmission is back from the trans guy. Did a complete rebuild including the converter for $380.00 The motor recently completed is just collecting dust in my garage, using up valubal space. They need to be put back in the chassis. Im just waiting till the paints done before installing them.

smokenjoep01
08-12-2011, 11:17 AM
Its looking like cooler weather (high eighties 60% humidity) this weekend. Leaving work now. Going to try and get something done. I would love to make the Turkey run in Daytona Fl. with this car in Nov.

smokenjoep01
08-15-2011, 06:36 AM
Woo Hoooo. Got the doors hung. The fenders hung. The hood on! Got my paint/ body guy over and he said to bring it on to his shop! Hell take care of the rest fo me. Not only will I have the old car with the tarp out of the front of my shop. I will be able to see grass again too. But when my car does come back, it will be in paint! Now I have to figure out the exact color.
I am sooooo pumped.

smokenjoep01
08-18-2011, 06:00 AM
I cant stop coming back and looking at the pictures. Im like a kid waiting for christmas.
Im going to the body shop this afternoon to bring him my list of things needing to be done and some materials. Cant wait to see it again.

smokenjoep01
09-16-2011, 08:04 AM
Dang near a month and still havent heard anything from my body man. Never tell a body guy "no rush". He is doing me a huge favor. So Im trying to be patient. He is priamrily a motorcycle painter. His prep area is about 700sq.ft. Its a bit cramped in there . I iamgine he wants it done and out of his way as bad as I want it back. He is just busy with customers that he can make money on.

flash
09-16-2011, 08:25 PM
Im with you on being patient with the paint shop but I sure do miss my old truck .Im going to visit the shop when I return home but this will be to get an estimate on repairs to our Malibu vert that got hit tonight in Pennsylvania at the hotel .At least I keep the bodyshop busy working on my junk.

shadowgray396
09-18-2011, 09:57 PM
Looking forward to a update.

flash
09-21-2011, 09:04 PM
Any updates on your Chevelle ,you cant stop now ?

smokenjoep01
09-26-2011, 02:09 PM
I wish I had a good update other than I got my rear seat back from the upholstery shop and it looks good. I traded a Harley motor I had extra for a interior redo.
I havent been to the body shop to check out progress. I have sent hime three complete bike paint jobs at two grand each over the last month. So I know Im keeping him busy. Just trying to be patient.

smokenjoep01
10-11-2011, 09:51 AM
Still no word from the body shop. I did get my Classis auto air underhood updrade A/C kit!

Berg
10-11-2011, 10:52 AM
well hopefully he is making some sort of progress on it. Does it have to stay outside when it gets back from paint or can you fit it in the garage? Does he have it inside at his place? When my Suburban was in the shop for the cowl hood I decided it was better being there for a month because it was indoors... Then again I had overspray on it and other things wrong that I had to clean up under the hood. It does sound like you'll have it together by spring though

smokenjoep01
10-11-2011, 01:29 PM
Yup Im hoping spring now. A year over due. But yes it is inside at his shop. No worries about any overspray or that type of things. Everything is sprayed in his booth.

smokenjoep01
11-29-2011, 09:40 AM
I was able to finalize title paperwork this week on the motorcycle I am trading my painter. He has not done anything to it as of yet. I will be pushing him as we are in a legal deal now. Thankfully the cars has been inside this whole time!

smokenjoep01
12-26-2011, 09:08 AM
I have made some small progress on the car the last coiple days. Got some ribs welded in to help support the roof skin. Now the roof is good and sturdy.
I did some POR15 on the bottom of the body. Looks like Im next in line with the body man. The fenders,doors, hood, trunk lid are pulled off. Were ready to rock on the final body work on the body,quarters so I can get the drivetrain back in.

flash
12-26-2011, 07:04 PM
Maybe your Chevelle and my 72 C10 will both be done soon ,I hope mine will be done for spring. But I'm not pushing my bodyshop as Im getting a good deal by being patient.

smokenjoep01
01-01-2012, 10:00 AM
Maybe your Chevelle and my 72 C10 will both be done soon ,I hope mine will be done for spring. But I'm not pushing my bodyshop as Im getting a good deal by being patient.

Same here. I have more time than money.

smokenjoep01
01-24-2012, 06:59 AM
Wow ,you got a lot of work ahead of you.

NO LIE! The painter has FINALY talked to me about getting the car back to me for the drive line install. He said the body work and jams painted of the carcass(body on the frame rolling) would be ready to pick up Sat.
I am really excited. I went back to my first post to see what date I started it. I read Flash's post and thought "yup he's right! One I get it back to my place I can install heater box/cowl stuff. The dash and The Motor and Trans. Then get it back to the painter for assembly and final paint! I will take pics Sat.

flash
01-24-2012, 08:32 AM
Im glad to hear there's progress being made on yours ,mine is still waiting .

smokenjoep01
01-26-2012, 11:22 AM
Went and picked up the paint yesterday. It's gonna be PPG Torch Red. For the sealer, hardener, reducer, paint and clear it was $580.00 I could of spent more but feel this will be a good ten year paint job!
Painter said it will be all jammed out and ready for pick up Saturday. Cant wait to get the motor and trans back in it.

flash
01-26-2012, 07:16 PM
You know we want pics when you get it home.Please ?

smokenjoep01
01-29-2012, 07:17 PM
Well things happened and the painter is running behind. Looking like Monday afternoon till I can pick it up. SO I figured I would get things ready. The heater/ evaporator boxes need to be cleaned, detailed, repaired before installation. Everything looks pretty decent and should go back together fine.
I need to figure out a couple things. First how do you get to the heater core? Everything's apart and there seems to still be a thin sheet metal plate covering it (pic1). Should that be removed to gain access to it?
What do I use to seal the evaporator box back together (pic4)? Whats wrapped around the evap tubes to seal them?
Also there is a small vacuum part that has a arm that is broken but I am not sure what it goes to (pic2)? And a vacuum tube that needs a home9pic3).
My dash vent louvers are not attached to each other and I think they will need to be replaced(pic5 last). Are they repairable or do they just get replaced ? See photos

flash
01-29-2012, 10:15 PM
Im going to visit my truck in the body shop tomorrow but I dont expect it has changed yet but I may be making a change anyway.

smokenjoep01
01-30-2012, 09:09 AM
How about some help with my questions????????? Anybody?

flash
01-30-2012, 10:56 AM
I have never dealt with the heater or dash on mine so Im no help to you there but Im sure someone who knows will help.

smokenjoep01
01-31-2012, 06:51 AM
Man am I disapointed. It looks very much like it did when I brought it to him. Only noticable difference is that the trunk and door jams are painted. He did get the roof looking real nce but still has some minor pin holes etc. He also did a tight coat of mud and primed the quarters again.
I need to get in the shop this evening and start on getting the body mounts, fuel lines, brake lines, motor, trans, brake booster, heater box etc installed.

smokenjoep01
02-01-2012, 08:38 AM
Well it begins. Started on the bushing, fuel&brake line replacement. I realized I did not order the fuel lines. It seema there is a line that runs on the left side with the brake line and then theres one that runs up the right side of the body. Are there fuel lines on both sides?

smokenjoep01
02-02-2012, 06:47 AM
Got the line ordered. I didnt replace the vapor line on the left side. All the lines are in great shape any way. But new ones will look great(who will see) and be un contaminated. I am wondering if I should get a new charcoal canister (are they available still?) to run the vapor line to? Or if not, should the end of the vent tube be bent to face down to prevent water/debris from entering, and leave it like that?
When I got the rear brakes apart I noticed that the flat bar with double fork type ends(one with a spring over it) was missing from the left side. Would there be one in the parts I removed from the front disc conversion? I have the complete front drums set ups still. Would that part be used in the front brakes and is it the same?

flash
02-02-2012, 08:22 AM
I dont think they will be the same ,I think that adjusts your parking brake but its been a while since I've done my brakes.

smokenjoep01
02-02-2012, 09:14 AM
Just got off the phone with NAPA. The are different, but he will have me the part I need here tommorow.

smokenjoep01
02-05-2012, 08:41 AM
Well its's Sunday and Im having some coffee and getting back at it. I have all the new brake lines and fuel lines in. The brakes and all the related parts have all been installed and the brakes are working. Also installed the Cherokee steering box and the steering column.
I dropped the diff cover to check the gears and replace the fluid. I counted my gears and I figured out that my car has 3.08 rear gears in it. Will this be a good ratio with my mild 307 and TH350(stock replacement converter) for cruising????
Today I will work on getting the heater box, air ducts, flapper doors and dash back in. It sure goes back together a lot slower!
Also a peek of the Red.

carpoor
02-06-2012, 09:27 AM
3.08's will be great for what you intend to do.

smokenjoep01
02-06-2012, 08:35 PM
The heater/evaporator boxes are done. That was a lot of cleaning, degreasing, painting etc. It's Monday night and I have just gotten the assembly back in the car. Ive got the motor ready to mount to the trans. I have been lucky with all the hardware, not loosing it! Well I cant find the tourque converter bolts. Then I realized that there in the old converter. It's since been sold. As soon as I round up some new ones I can get the motor in. Any ideas what size they are?

smokenjoep01
02-06-2012, 08:43 PM
And some other pictures! Any idea were the flapper in the last picture mounts and what it does?

smokenjoep01
02-07-2012, 08:02 AM
And some other pictures! Any idea were the flapper in the last picture mounts and what it does?

Any ideas?????????

carpoor
02-07-2012, 08:33 AM
Passenger side, top corner of the cowl. It vents in outside air when "VENT" is selected. And seals out the outside air when the AC is on. There should be a vacuum pod and a linkage rod on the underside of it. It was a real SOB to get back in, I really fought with it when reinstalling it in my car. I hope you have a much easier time than I did.

And for converter bolts, go to your local parts house and get the correct bolts.

flash
02-07-2012, 08:40 AM
WOW ,it looks good .You have come a long way .

smokenjoep01
02-08-2012, 06:56 AM
Thanks Flash.
I found the tourque converter bolts on the flywheel! Got the motor and trans in last night. Tonight I have to get the headers mounted up to the motor. It looks like a challenge to get them on, but shouldnt be a problem if I pull one side motor mount bolt at a time and roll it to the side I need to gain access. One concern I have is I bought the headers used and they came off a 68-69 Camaro. I was told prior they would fit. But now I have a slight dought. Anybody know?
Carpoor, I'm not sure were your talking about. Any pictures, links, diagrams. I am thick headed and work best with pictures:) Thank you all for the help.

carpoor
02-08-2012, 09:01 AM
My car is all back together, so I don't have any pictures. I assembled that part of the car several years ago. The best way I can explain it, if you are sitting on the pass side floor board looking towards where the glove box door would be. In that upper right hand corner of the cowl is where that piece should go. I'll see if I have an assembly manual. If anyone has one for a 68'-72' car, it should be similar enough for you to see an exploded view of said part/area.

smokenjoep01
02-08-2012, 11:06 AM
My car is all back together, so I don't have any pictures. I assembled that part of the car several years ago. The best way I can explain it, if you are sitting on the pass side floor board looking towards where the glove box door would be. In that upper right hand corner of the cowl is where that piece should go. I'll see if I have an assembly manual. If anyone has one for a 68'-72' car, it should be similar enough for you to see an exploded view of said part/area.

I got it figured out. It mounts in the area you spoke of just on the outside of the winshield. I was thinking inside is why I couldnt figure it out. Thanks :ntwrthy:

smokenjoep01
02-08-2012, 08:19 PM
Was able to get the headers in with no big problems. Just about got everything I was hoping to have done before I return it to the body shop this Saturday for paint.

flash
02-09-2012, 08:49 AM
Im liking that red paint ,cant wait to see it finished .Well as finished as they get anyway .Good job on it.

smokenjoep01
02-09-2012, 08:55 PM
Thanks Flash!
Heres some pictures of tonights progress. Installed the new style A/C compressor, front swaybar, and worked on the universal shiftrod from shiftworks that Im using to shift the TH350. Really coming along, Im just hoping to make sure my body man is gonna keep a similar pace.

flash
02-09-2012, 10:16 PM
If your body guy is as hard working as you are it will be done soon.

smokenjoep01
02-10-2012, 06:40 AM
He certainly is hard working, just spreads himself to thin. Thanks again.

Ms Grumpy
02-10-2012, 12:09 PM
Love the red. It is looking really good.

70SS396
02-10-2012, 12:19 PM
Love the red. It is looking really good.

+1, it looks beautiful.

smokenjoep01
02-12-2012, 07:55 AM
Well it's now back at the bodyshop and we are planning on getting together there next Saturday to install and align the doors, then fenders etc.
The Jeep steering box swap went very smooth. I ordered the ragjoint and the little parts you instsall in the box for the stock lines to work with from Lee manf. The stock lines on my 72 didnt quite look/run to good. The bend were it conects to the box was funky. I purchased a new high pressure line for a 68 and it has a nice 90 degree bend at the steer box. The low pressure was much closer and could be bent to work. Now the lines coming out of the box are much neater and look factory to me. Take a look in the photos.
Thank you to those that have taken the time to comment. Theres been MANY hours in my shop working on this car by myself. Not many people have a clue as to how many hours it takes to do even the simple things on these cars. Including myself!

smokenjoep01
02-19-2012, 08:03 PM
Good Lawd theres a lot of time , work amd money involved in rebuilding these classics. This weekend was productive but slow. I arrived home Friday to a stack of boxes from Ground Up. Got lots of goodies for assembly. Also got a local Camaro supply guy (Camaro Barn) to order me front and rear bumpers with no shipping and his price was cheaper than all the big name Chevelle suppliers.
Saturday we got the doors on and adjusted, both fenders are on and one is about perfect and the other we are gonna finish Monday.

carpoor
02-19-2012, 09:27 PM
Looking good!

smokenjoep01
02-20-2012, 02:26 PM
Anybody know what section of the assembly manual has the door mechanism illustration?
Couldn't find it. I have most of it figured out. Just need to see and confirm were the window stops, bumpers, guides are suppose to be. Or a photo of the door inards?

smokenjoep01
02-21-2012, 08:22 AM
I am looking for a vacuum diagram for the heater controls and a illustation of the location of the door glass guides, bumpers etc. Could anybody help?

flash
02-21-2012, 08:30 AM
I wish I had some answers for you but Im sure someone will .Ray will probably be your best bet .

smokenjoep01
02-21-2012, 11:09 AM
Thanks for the response John. I posted elsewere also to see about a response.

smokenjoep01
02-22-2012, 01:38 PM
I am looking for a vacuum diagram for the heater controls and a illustation of the location of the door glass guides, bumpers etc. Could anybody help?

Bump.......

shadowgray396
02-24-2012, 08:52 AM
Still need a picture of the windows, I may have one? Also when adjusting the windows if you have put new seals on. Don't rush it. I had to adjust mine close the door let it set a few days and then make another adjustment until I got the new seals compressed to fit correctly.

Ray

smokenjoep01
02-24-2012, 11:23 AM
YES I do. That would be great!
I'm not ready for the seals just yet.

smokenjoep01
03-06-2012, 11:14 AM
Well we ran in to a little issue with fender fit. As said before my painter hasent got much body experience and we had to get in a ole timer to do some massaging of the front fenders. The left one sat a little high and the right one was about a half inch high. We should have things ajusted and back to making forward progress by this weekend. Im keeping my fingers crossed.

314Chevelle
03-10-2012, 05:01 PM
I can't wait to see the finished product. Although u say it won't be show quality, based off the pics u posted, it will be thoroughly gone thru & reassembled. Keep on pushing. Good luck.

smokenjoep01
03-13-2012, 09:03 AM
Thanks for the kind words. Word frome ole timer is he has been busy/sick and is getting on it today if he feels good enough to work. Dang people are really slow in the south. And often there word is mearly a suggestion.
When they say some time this week. It really means, possibly this month. Being I am a impatient/ got to do it now kind of guy. Waiting is killing me. I dont know if some of you reading may remember every weekend or day off I diid something I could to it. Now it just sits idle for weeks.
All this pretty weather isnt helping me be patient.

smokenjoep01
04-19-2012, 11:21 AM
Well its been over a month since I updated on my project. It hasent been sitting still! The ole timer did his best but I still was not happy at the way things lined up. I was able to get up with a old friend of mine that has been a body man for the last thirty years and got it to him. I had to bring him some seam sealer and he ended up giving me a ear full.
It seems that the painter never put any seam sealer on anything. And If you remember back when, this car was completly sandblasted. So all the jambs that are painted need the seam sealer. He ended up removing the fenders and there was no sealer on the cowl under the fenders etc. Thankfully he noticed and we are correcting that. He has the gaps looking good. As well as the little studs installed that hold the windhield and back glass trim in.
He said he will be dropping it off back at the painter TODAY! Painter said he has 20 hours in blocking the roof and 40 hours of blocking the rest of the body. With a 2 week expected date of putting the paint on. Ya right, we will see.

flash
04-19-2012, 02:17 PM
Even with all that extra unexpected work you are miles ahead of where my truck is ,it has not progressed in many moons. Hopefully someday I will see the progress you are seeing.

carpoor
04-19-2012, 03:04 PM
Man, that guy is really dragging his feet. Hope he gets tired of seeing the car and gets it in paint so you can have your car back.

smokenjoep01
04-20-2012, 09:08 AM
Man, that guy is really dragging his feet. Hope he gets tired of seeing the car and gets it in paint so you can have your car back.

Now its back at the paint shop and its the second day there. Two phone calls, and four text messages inquiring if he needs anything else to finish and WHEN can I expect it back! No call back or message. Just a simple yes to a text yesterday that the car did arrive back to his shop. I kow I am being a PITA but my moneys as green as the next guys and I sure have waited paitcently long enough. I WANNA DRIVE MY CHEVELLE

Flash, You have the paitcense of a god.

flash
04-20-2012, 08:59 PM
I dont know about that ,Im trying to buy another truck to take its place until its finished, I MISS MY TRUCK.

smokenjoep01
04-23-2012, 06:50 AM
I never heard anything from the painter. Im wondering if I should just sit and be quite or call, stop by his shop?

flash
04-23-2012, 08:58 AM
I visit mine on a regular basis ,I dont really know why. His shop is getting empty of insurance vehicles so maybe soon.

Berg
04-23-2012, 09:15 AM
I feel for you. When I had the hood and drivers side of my daily driver re-sprayed on my 99 Suburban it was at the guys shop for 5 weeks and when I got it back I wasn't really happy with it at all. Now it is only a few years later and I come to find out there was bare metal in spots he sprayed and in other spots the filler shrunk and now you can see DA sanding marks and see basically everything underneath. I wish I took it to someone else. Not really happy with it at all. 90% of the finished paint job is the prep work itself. Now is the time to make sure everything is right. I'd say follow up on it and keep checking on it and be the pain in the ass to this guy. The faster he gets it done the less he has to see or hear from you! Just don't do it so often that he rushes the job and it comes out like crap. I put my car off for yet another year but it looks like you might have yours in running condition this summer.

smokenjoep01
04-23-2012, 12:00 PM
Tahnks for the advice. I did call him and he was in a good mood. We talked and he told me to come check on it at the end of the week. He says he is having his helper get sanding and he expects to have 60 hours in blocking and priming by Friday! I expressed my concerns of the job being rushed. He offered a 1 year warranty on anything that arouse that I didnt like.
I feel a lot better and will be bringing a case of beer by his shop Friday afternoon!

flash
04-23-2012, 01:30 PM
My bodyshop has a lifetime warranty on paint and all his repairs ,it will be worth the wait for you and me both I think.

smokenjoep01
04-24-2012, 01:54 PM
Still need a picture of the windows, I may have one? Also when adjusting the windows if you have put new seals on. Don't rush it. I had to adjust mine close the door let it set a few days and then make another adjustment until I got the new seals compressed to fit correctly.

Ray

Ray, I just wanted to thank you for taking the time (twice) to measure were those little studs went. That was one thing that did get done and looked good with the trim fit back in to see if I had the openings looking good as well.
Thank You.
As well a Thanks to everybody else with words of encouragment, help, etc. Thank You All!

flash
04-24-2012, 09:30 PM
It wont be long til youre cruisin in style ,you have come a long way in a fairly short time.

Granddad Coker
04-25-2012, 03:49 AM
Where did you get your cowl panel?
Thanks Granddad

smokenjoep01
04-25-2012, 06:39 AM
Where did you get your cowl panel?
Thanks Granddad

Ausleys chevelle parts here in NC

flash
04-25-2012, 08:32 AM
Ausley's are good folks ,Roger is top of the line nice guy.

smokenjoep01
04-26-2012, 09:49 AM
Tomorrow he says I will have something to look at! Lets hope! Its suppose to be real close to being ready TOMORROW. But Im not holding my breath.,.,

smokenjoep01
04-30-2012, 06:47 AM
Good thing I didnt hold my breath. I call Friday and he said he would be working on it Saturday. Based on some photos of a bike paint job I seen in his booth that he posted on Facebook Saturday. Im thinking I got bumped AGAIN. Im calling this morning to find out.

SS Shaun
04-30-2012, 09:21 AM
wow sorry to hear that man! but rest assure your car will get done!

smokenjoep01
04-30-2012, 01:53 PM
wow sorry to hear that man! but rest assure your car will get done!

Its such a jerk job. If I wasent already 3K in to him I would bring it elsewere and be done with it. Still hasent responded to the text I sent him this morning.
Should I be the squeaky wheel and call him?

aristoman
05-02-2012, 09:32 PM
It's time you knocked on his door.

SS Shaun
05-03-2012, 07:19 AM
yeah if you have not heard back yet its time to go to the shop!

smokenjoep01
05-10-2012, 02:15 PM
Well I'm really jammed up. My painter tells me one thing and does another. When I called a couple weeks back he told me that if I was not happy with progress I can take it else were. Then we talk and he says two weeks, then nothing. I'm in to this guy for more than three thousand bucks. I can't afford to pay another painter.
Is there any legal action I can take against him? I wanna get it and take it to Maco and get them to paint it. Then have his shop logo Painted on the sides of the car and park it across the street from his shop.

shadowgray396
05-12-2012, 02:35 PM
It called the Better Business bureau. For some reason a lot of painter are flakes. You hear stories all the time on how people are always getting taken by these guys. All I can say is reference, reference, reference before you use someone. They never seem to do the work when they say they will. Sorry to hear about whats going on.
Ray

smokenjoep01
05-21-2012, 09:33 AM
This guy has painted a bike a month for me for the last 3 years! Im stopping by his shop tonight for a discussion.

SS Shaun
05-21-2012, 10:45 AM
WOW that sucks! i was hoping to see the car home in your garage by now

Berg
05-21-2012, 02:33 PM
Sorry to hear about that problem. I had the same issue with my 99 Suburban when I got that painted. The first time I had the guy do work for me he did it perfect and did it in 2-3 weeks. The next time I brought him a truck it didn't even need a whole respray but he took over 6 weeks and it came out horrible. Now that was done in 2007 and I have paint chipping off in spots and no primer underneath and I can see DA marks and I can see every little imperfection he touched. It sucks. I know exactly how you feel man. The worst part is now you have to find a new painter for your bikes. I think part of the problem might be the size of the job, and if all the guy paints is small things like bikes he might not have the fine honed skills to block sand and spray large objects. I know guys who can detail frames and suspension components and prep/paint engine blocks and stuff like nobody's business but when it comes down to painting a hood or a roof panel they sub it out. Funny thing is I have seem the same guy do lower patches on his fenders and fix the lip on his door skins and blend the bottoms and it came out great.

smokenjoep01
05-22-2012, 06:39 AM
He has blown out half dozen street rods, a Jeep, A semi tractor, a boat and when I pulled up yesterday he was spraying a motorhome. The size isnt the issue.
Funny thing is I have a bike frame that I need painted and another complete full dressed Harley that needs a full custom paint job. Again when asked about my car it was "Im going to work on it". I did tow his Harley back to my shop to do some work on it. He says HBO wants to rent it for some up coming film being shot here local. He didnt mention when they want it, but it will be ready the same day my car is!

smokenjoep01
07-03-2012, 08:19 AM
Just wanted to post a update and say hello. Everyday I see the link to this site in my favorites and it hurts. On one hand I want to come here and post up on Chevelle related topics. On the other hand I want to got slap a bodyman!
My car was handed off from the bodyshop I deal with, to a local man with a home shop for proper block sanding and prep for paint. As of this past Friday June 29,2012 It is suppose to be ready for the paint booth. At this point I really want to get it back. But I dread all the finish work ahead. Im sure when I see the car in paint I will have a renewed interest in the project. Hopefully posting some pictures soon.

SS Shaun
07-03-2012, 01:29 PM
man that sucks dude! i am so sorry for your pain! i hope i dont have to do that when i send mine off for paint!

Berg
07-10-2012, 10:51 AM
Well at least you are finally making forward progress. My 1970 L34 Chevelle is about to go on the market. At the moment I am losing storage, I'm down to my old rotted out Blazer, and building up debt on the credit card again. I'm not winning with this battle. I hate to do it but its looking like the car needs to go. I wish I could have just gotten it together and enjoyed it. In time you will have yours done. Good luck with the project.

smokenjoep01
07-12-2012, 07:35 PM
Well at least you are finally making forward progress. My 1970 L34 Chevelle is about to go on the market. At the moment I am losing storage, I'm down to my old rotted out Blazer, and building up debt on the credit card again. I'm not winning with this battle. I hate to do it but its looking like the car needs to go. I wish I could have just gotten it together and enjoyed it. In time you will have yours done. Good luck with the project.

So sorry to hear. On one hand Im glad I have something to look forward to. But have a headache on my hands at the moment. As of last Friday it was back at the bodyshop and should have been ready for paint today. Trip to his shop tomorrow.

smokenjoep01
07-26-2012, 04:43 AM
Well after being put on the back burner for nearly a year my painter sent me a text with a photo attached. Im pretty excited and interested in seeing how it came out.2143

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SS Shaun
07-26-2012, 09:05 AM
very nice!

smokenjoep01
07-26-2012, 02:46 PM
He said he is delivering it at 5. Ive got 75 minutes till shes home!2144

flash
07-26-2012, 05:56 PM
It looks like it was worth the wait ,keep us posted and more pics.

carpoor
07-26-2012, 07:39 PM
Great success! :banana:

Ms Grumpy
07-26-2012, 08:27 PM
The excitement of waiting to see your paint job, on your car, for the first time. It is so nerve racking. You are excited and sick to your stomach at the same time. So happy for you.

smokenjoep01
07-27-2012, 07:49 AM
Well. He insisted on wet sanding and buffing it before he delivered it. So its looking like Saturday before shes home.
He knows after waiting almost a year were going to be some what critical as well as the other potential customers in the local area.

Berg
07-27-2012, 02:43 PM
sweeeet! Congrats! I guess you can't wait to change your little avatar picture!

smokenjoep01
07-28-2012, 09:11 AM
I may keep that avatar as a reminder were it has come from. Hopefully today is delivery day. Not going to get my hopes up!

shadowgray396
07-28-2012, 09:23 AM
Looking very nice, it's a big step to get them painted.

westender
07-28-2012, 10:56 AM
glad to see some closure on the painting finally Joe.....I have read this forum a few times and have hoped that things would work out eventually.....hope to see some more pics when she returns home.... congrats ))

flash
07-30-2012, 09:26 PM
Well ,any more news ?

smokenjoep01
07-31-2012, 04:43 AM
YA, he says he would never hear the end of it if he didnt wet sand or buff it. So thats what Im waiting on now. Im very excited to get it back. But this is really the worst time. I do motorcycle repair as a side job and am swamped with work and just starting building a completely scratchbuilt built bike.2150

smokenjoep01
08-01-2012, 06:27 AM
The painter dropped it off last night! It looks really good. I am very happy with the quality. There are a couple minor blemishes and one drip. Nothing I cant live with or that cant be fixed. Im only building a driver.
Now is the long road of putting it all back together with the new parts.215121532154

SS Shaun
08-01-2012, 08:01 AM
congrats man! so happy for you!!!

carpoor
08-01-2012, 01:55 PM
Great success!

smokenjoep01
08-01-2012, 08:35 PM
Thanks yall. Quick question. Are the rear interior panels needed to be installed before the back glass is installed?

flash
08-01-2012, 08:56 PM
Dont think so ,man that looks great.

smokenjoep01
08-02-2012, 06:02 AM
I was considering having a aquaintance install my weather stripping and door glass. But I am real hesistant as he wants to take it to his shop and he is a well known procrastinator. and his shop looks like a junk yard. He is capable. I'm just not getting a warm fuzzy feeling about it. How hard of a job is it getting the weatherstripping installed and side glass in and adjusted? He also told me that the rear interior panels have to be installed before the rear glass can be installed. Because the panels determine how far in the back glass should be??? Sounds kind of fishy. I'm thinking about doing it myself, just not sure how big of a deal it is to get the window glass adjusted to seal and close?

flash
08-25-2012, 09:25 PM
Any updates ?

earthquake68
08-28-2012, 10:14 AM
WOW! I just went through the whole build thread. Nice work. I do metal and fab work for a living and wouldn't have saved the panels you did. My hat's off to ya'. I'm glad the paint worked out. I thought it was going to be another horror story. I started painting a little over 25 years ago because I couldn't afford to pay someone. I'm glad I learned. I've had some expensive lessons over the years, but it's worked out for the best.

Again, glad you got her home. I'm looking forward to seeing it all reassembled.

smokenjoep01
09-07-2012, 06:41 AM
Currently my car is at a friends shop. He has a lift and we are SLOWLY putting the car back together. I will post some pictures soon.

Woffski
11-01-2012, 08:27 PM
Your car is looking good brother!! Where in NC? I'm in Jacksonville.Waving

smokenjoep01
11-06-2012, 05:46 AM
Your car is looking good brother!! Where in NC? I'm in Jacksonville.Waving
Im right down 17 in Wilmington. Should have the weather stripping, windows and chrome installed real soon. Things have been dragging along at a snails pace. But it is what it is and I will have a pretty nice ride to enjoy here shortly. I hope!

flash
11-06-2012, 11:14 AM
Just in time for spring cruisin ?

smokenjoep01
11-06-2012, 01:22 PM
Just in time for spring cruisin ?

Hopefully! The way its going, April is realistic. I may just come visit you :)

flash
11-06-2012, 09:09 PM
You are welcome here ,come on over.

smokenjoep01
12-04-2012, 07:40 AM
Slow going is the word of the day. I have been scrambling around trying to find chrome trim channels that the weatherstripping glues into. Plus I seemed to misplace the little parts that attach to the lock cylinders. Thankfully I have a buddy thats parting out a couple chevelles here local. The fact this car is at a friends shop limits my participation. Being when I am available to work on it, hes closed!
But we are making very slow progress.

flash
12-04-2012, 11:13 AM
Thanks for the update .

72BLACKNWHITE
12-04-2012, 03:38 PM
:cool::cool:Bowtie smileyBowtie smileyI read your thread theses last few days ( begin- end) i recently finished the build on my 72 ...although there is mods coming this winter . sounds like you had just as long of a road as i did ... granted i didnt have rust to worry about . i am excited to see your finished product.

smokenjoep01
12-21-2012, 04:42 PM
Made some more progress. Slow like turtle. But Im sneaking up on it. Got a couple pictures. Really terrible pictures.24002401240224032404

smokenjoep01
12-21-2012, 04:43 PM
And cant forget a motor shot. A clean SBC. Pure porn!2405

flash
12-22-2012, 07:26 AM
Very nice progress ,you will definitely be cruisin in style soon .

earthquake68
12-22-2012, 07:38 AM
HEY! It looks like a car again. Nice work. I know you have to be excited about that!

carpoor
12-22-2012, 03:21 PM
Looks good, you'll be cruising this spring.

smokenjoep01
12-23-2012, 05:53 AM
Have been putting on the POR with care. Just about got all the chrome trim and weatherstripping in as well as the glass set. Having some coffee then back at it. Hoping to have the rear bumper and taillights in today,

flash
12-23-2012, 08:36 AM
Keep the updates coming ,I've missed you on here .

smokenjoep01
12-23-2012, 04:36 PM
More POR went on today in all the interior cracks and crevices. Seem sealer and touching up the red were it was light or missing completely. Some more chrome trim and weather strip on. Even got the LED tail lights, new lenses, new American auto wire harness and brackets installed in the rear bumper. 2415241624172418

smokenjoep01
12-26-2012, 02:37 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/12/27/ery2yte8.jpgRear bumper installed.24422443

flash
12-26-2012, 05:51 PM
Looking good ,tell us about the bar and chain pic ,is that to level the bumper ?

smokenjoep01
12-27-2012, 05:08 AM
Its some ole school tool they used on these old metal bumpers to tweak them.
They actually fit real nice. Today i hope to get the front fender extensions and front bumper on.

flash
12-27-2012, 01:13 PM
I cant wait til you get it finished ,been watching this since you started.

smokenjoep01
12-28-2012, 07:16 AM
My buddy blew me off yesterday. He keeps dancing around getting the doors buttoned up. Adjusting the glass and installing the lock mechanisms seems like it might be scaring him.
I heard of a guy local with a parts car. Iam going to try and find him and get some pictures for refereance.

SS Shaun
12-28-2012, 10:05 AM
Man looking good bro!

smokenjoep01
12-28-2012, 02:06 PM
Anybody know what year my 72 door/ lock mechanisms interchange back to?

flash
12-28-2012, 03:16 PM
I would think back to 70 ,Id be interested in seeing those pics as I need to go into my driver side door and repair the opening mechanizm or rod .It is very difficult to open my door from inside ,I assume a rod is stretched or something easy.

carpoor
12-28-2012, 03:39 PM
I'm with flash, to at least 1970. Possibly 68' & 69' too since 68'-72' share many similarities.

smokenjoep01
12-28-2012, 03:49 PM
Thanks. I am also in need of some unique parts.
#1- A clip to hold the lock cylinder in trunk lid.
#2- The part the antenna wire pigtail plugs into. Its mount on the cowl. Bottom center of windshield.
#3 - Some wiper arms in good shape

flash
12-28-2012, 05:50 PM
I think I got my trunk lock clip from Hinshaws used but they may reproduce it now and the other parts Im not sure about .For my 72 Chevy truck Napa had wiper arms and blades in stock so you might try them as well .Roger Ausley may also have what you need and he is also great to deal with and in your state .

smokenjoep01
12-29-2012, 09:57 AM
Ausleys is great. Just running out if capital to invest in new parts. Send cash! :)

carpoor
12-29-2012, 11:50 AM
Are there any good salvage yards left in your neck of the woods? Wiper arms will mostly be the same on 68'-72' GM A-Body cars. (Chevelle, Monte Carlo, El Camino, GMC Sprint, Tempest, Lemans, GTO, Gran Prix Skylark, Cutlas, 442)

Most of that stuff is picked over down where I am. I have to venture out into "the sticks" to find any decent yards.

smokenjoep01
12-29-2012, 01:39 PM
Im right here on the coast. I have to get to the west side of I95 (120 miles)before theres any old salvage yards. Just going to have to call Ausleys Monday

shadowgray396
12-29-2012, 06:34 PM
[QUOTE=smokenjoep01;41296]Thanks. I am also in need of some unique parts.
#2- The part the antenna wire pigtail plugs into. Its mount on the cowl. Bottom center of windshield.

68-69 door handles are the same, 70 -72 door handles are different.

68-72 trunk lids have the same clip to hold the lock. Find an original clip the repo ones do not work very well. I may have one.
I also should have a set of wiper arms laying around.

smokenjoep01
12-29-2012, 08:04 PM
[QUOTE=smokenjoep01;41296]Thanks. I am also in need of some unique parts.

68-69 door handles are the same, 70 -72 door handles are different.

68-72 trunk lids have the same clip to hold the lock. Find an original clip the repo ones do not work very well. I may have one.
I also should have a set of wiper arms laying around.

I would take a clip and the arms if u have them. I can paypal you asap.

smokenjoep01
01-07-2013, 09:21 AM
Well windshield wiper arms are on the way. I found a guy local with a 68 and a 69 that being parted out. I got the trunk lock cyl. clip and door lock arms I was missing. Now all locks are in and working as well as the glass being in and rolling up and down! Working on getting the front fender extensions and headlamps installed now.

smokenjoep01
01-22-2013, 08:22 PM
Im looking at using the five spoke wheels that came on the chevelle and z28. I found some local. No beauty rings or center caps. Anyone know we're to get some of those?

flash
01-22-2013, 08:38 PM
I think Summit sells the beauty rings ,most all the repro places sell the center caps but they aint cheap. Try NPD , I bought some for my Elky a few years ago but dont remember where . If I remember they are about $100 per set .

smokenjoep01
01-23-2013, 07:12 AM
WOW 100! Nothings cheap these days. I kinda figured that. Thanks for the info

Ms Grumpy
01-23-2013, 07:44 AM
I think Summit sells the beauty rings ,most all the repro places sell the center caps but they aint cheap. Try NPD , I bought some for my Elky a few years ago but dont remember where . If I remember they are about $100 per set .

The only problem with the beauty rings from Summit, if you order them, is you can't inspect them. I went thru sending mine back, a few years back, more than 4 times cause they were not in good shape or they were loose.