PDA

View Full Version : new suspension

markar101
07-23-2010, 03:12 PM
I have a 65 chevelle and want a modern feel to the road. I am looking at Global West suspension. Has anybody done this and how did it come out?
Mark

Derek69SS
07-23-2010, 03:58 PM
I'm not really a fan of GW because they use the B-body "tall" spindle with the poorly located steer arm that causes bumpsteer and turning radius/steering ratio problems.

You can get a modern "feel" with just sway-bars and a quick-ratio steering box but it still won't have a lot of grip in a high-speed turn. Basically it will feel a lot tighter, but to actually increase grip, you need to correct the front geometry.

I'd recommend SC&C ( www.scandc.com ) which has numerous options and packages to fit almost any budget.

rak1
07-29-2010, 10:31 AM
I don't agree; I have a complete Globel West stage three kit and love it. That's the problem with asking these types of questions on a forum, you are going to get alot of diffrent answers. If it was me I would find someone local and ask them who set up their car if you like the way it rides and go from there. Parts are important but how everything works togeter is the key.

Derek69SS
07-29-2010, 11:50 AM
I'd like to challenge you to an autocross. ;)

If you have their "negative roll" tall-spindle setup, then you have steer arms that are too low, which results in ~200% increase in factory bumpsteer. They are also too long, which results in a slowed turning ratio, and wider turning radius... also negatively effects ackermann angle, but the actual performance benefit of ackermann has been debated for decades with no real solid conclusion (really just comes down to driver preference)

SC&C's tall balljoint or AFX spindle packages do the same thing to fix the camber curve (taller effective spindle height), but raise the steer arm by ~1/2" to reduce factory bumpsteer by 85%, and they're the proper length so steering ratio and radius are not effected.

As for making the parts work together... If I can do it, anyone can. :D (and I'd be happy to help choose a spring/shock/swaybar combo to fit the budget)

rak1
07-29-2010, 04:24 PM
I'll be out and around during Hot August Nights here in Reno, NV.;)
I won't be participating in any events because i don't really like HAN; if there was an anti tour I'd be on it just look for RED Camino.
I just got the car back from paint last week so everything is still new but I did get the bugs finally worked out of the 700r4.

Hank70SS
07-29-2010, 07:13 PM
I'd like to challenge you to an autocross. ;)

If you have their "negative roll" tall-spindle setup, then you have steer arms that are too low, which results in ~200% increase in factory bumpsteer. They are also too long, which results in a slowed turning ratio, and wider turning radius... also negatively effects ackermann angle, but the actual performance benefit of ackermann has been debated for decades with no real solid conclusion (really just comes down to driver preference)

SC&C's tall balljoint or AFX spindle packages do the same thing to fix the camber curve (taller effective spindle height), but raise the steer arm by ~1/2" to reduce factory bumpsteer by 85%, and they're the proper length so steering ratio and radius are not effected.

As for making the parts work together... If I can do it, anyone can. :D (and I'd be happy to help choose a spring/shock/swaybar combo to fit the budget)

So there!

I'll be out and around during Hot August Nights here in Reno, NV.;)
I won't be participating in any events because i don't really like HAN; if there was an anti tour I'd be on it just look for RED Camino.
I just got the car back from paint last week so everything is still new but I did get the bugs finally worked out of the 700r4.

Derek does know suspensions but as long as you're happy with yours that's what counts. We're all looking for different things and have different expectations, skills and pocket books.

markar101
08-03-2010, 12:47 AM
Thanks for the imput. CPP is just around the corner from me so I will go and see what they have there. Thanks again. Will let you know what I come up with!
Mark