PDA

View Full Version : Need help, mustang guy helping a buddy with a chevelle.

brendanryan051
07-23-2010, 11:49 AM
Alrite, mustang guy here and i need some help. my buddy is looking at a 67 chevelle and he wants me to check it out. now i can tell you EVERYTHING about a mustang but i dont know much about the chevelles. where should i be checking for rust/rot. i have a general idea but im not sure on where to look. what else should i be looking for on the car?

brendanryan051
07-23-2010, 05:17 PM
alrite, heres an update. i posted on my mustang forum and some of the guys told me i should check the following areas for rot/rust.
~ rear wheel wells
~ trunk floor
~ rear window molding
~ under the front fender where it meets the door
~ front rocker and rear of the front fender
~ floor pans
~ body bushings where the body bolts to the frame.

is there anything else i should check on? is there anything mechanically that should check on. the kid that im looking at it for would probobly be doing a near complete restoration from the ground up so id imagine hed be swapping out a lot of stuff. i think he said he wanted to do a 350ci engine with a turbo 350 trans but i might convince him to go with something different that i have in the back of my mind. id just hate to miss something and have him buy a car that is no good and cant be fixed.

Ms Grumpy
07-23-2010, 05:27 PM
Brendanryan051,

The filler panel underneath the rear window, the panel between the rear window and the deck lid. You mentioned the rocker panels, this is usually a big one. Hope I was a little help.

brendanryan051
07-24-2010, 02:17 AM
yeah, thanks ms grumpy. ill add those spots to the list to check on when i see the car.

Hank70SS
07-24-2010, 07:09 AM
I don't know 67's very well but your list sounds good. also look at cowl near the windshield. Hard to see but firewall/cowl where it goes behind the inner fenders too. Water from the cowl drains through there and out the bottom of the fender in front of the door.

Also look at the frame where it curves out from the engine and goes under the firewall. If it's a big block car that area takes a lot of stress and can start to crack. Look along the inside edges of the curves.

brendanryan051
07-24-2010, 08:34 AM
thanks hank. i figured id check the cowl too. ive got a foxbody mustang and thats a popular spot to find rot and rust on our cars also. im hoping i dont get there and find a junker. i might try to take some pics when i see the car so maybe ill post them up and see what you guys think.

Ms Grumpy
07-24-2010, 10:26 AM
we love pics...

Derek69SS
07-26-2010, 11:46 AM
Front windshield channel too... very common on the 64-67s to rot out at the base of the windshield.

Ms Grumpy
07-26-2010, 02:23 PM
So Brendanryan051 how did it go?